20. She Hated

She woke her up in the middle of the night for what seemed like the millionth time since the girl had invaded her life. It took a few shakes but they were violent and frantic enough to get her to sit up sleepily. Her breaths were wheezy and sounded so painful that it hurt her. Lauren grabbed ahold of her, stroking her cheek, attempting to calm her in case a panic attack would arise. What was going on? What was happening? She was desperately trying to calm her down but nothing was working and she sounded scared and hurt all at once.

"Camz, what's wrong?" She asks, pushing the girl's hair behind her ears while searching her eyes for an answer. The girl taps at her throat with one hand frantically, the other holding up something for her to see. She squints in the dim lighting before turning on the bedside lamp, but she wishes she hadn't. Blood tainted her lips and speckled the tissue in her hand that wasn't held to her wheezing throat. Finally, she understood. The coughing that had been going on, something was definitely wrong.

With a loud curse, Lauren fumbles from her bed and drags along the girl with her downstairs and to her father's bedroom.

-

She didn't like hospitals. Hospitals were a place for pain and death, neither of which she wanted Camila to experience. The chairs in the lobby were not comfortable at all, her ass hurting despite the constant shifting she'd done since four this morning. And she was alone, no one on her left or right but she was surrounded by death. It screamed at Lauren, told her which rooms she'd be visiting that night, who she'd drag down to hell with her.

Death scared Lauren shitless.

Someone yelled from down the hall making her flinch before releasing a breath. She leaned over, elbows resting on knees, hands in her hair and her eyes closed as tightly as she was capable.

Lauren. Hated. Hospitals.

"Lauren," the girl lifted her head to see her father. He nodded his head towards the back and in an instant, Lauren was on her feet. Mindlessly, she followed the man past seven rooms until arriving at Camila's room on the right.

She smiled, a weak and rough "hey" leaving her lips and Lauren almost fell to her knees. The girl was so pale and small from her place on the bed, her eyelids heavy with a needle in her arm and breathing nibs in her nose. She automatically knew that the girl felt weak. And she hated that. Lauren clears her throat and sits at the end of the hospital bed, jumping up and down slightly.

"This seems comfy," she chuckles, averting her gaze by looking down at the white bedsheets. Mr. Jauregui says a quick goodbye from the doorway, leaving the two teens alone.

"It's not really," Camila rasps. She moves towards the edge of the mattress and Lauren gets the message, lying down next to her.

She shifts slightly, "Hm... yeah, you're right."

Camila smiles again before scooting closer to the other girl, resting her head against her chest while letting out a single cough. She yawns. "They gave me some sleeping medication," she informs her as her hand goes to play with the other's hair. She doesn't answer back, twirling coffee brown locks between her fingertips with her eyes trained on the ceiling. One word circled her mind.

Tuberculosis.

-

sorry for such short chapters:)))))

read, comment, vote, and enjoy!

[ edited on july 17, 2019 ]