- Synthetic -

POV: 1st
CW: Suicide implication

"Wanna stop and grab some noodles?" I stride beside Deacon, who's now dressed as a Diamond City security officer. He grins at me through the mask.

"You know what're in those things? No way." I roll my eyes at his seemingly serious hesitation. "But of course there was that time I had to eat an entire behemoth heart."

"Oh shut up, that never happened." I announce, and he laughs under his breath.

"Alright, let's go get some noodles."

Takahashi does his usual, stirring up some beat-to-death noodles in their tin bowl. I take a seat beside Deacon and slurp some noodles up with ease.

"Oh, my back's killing me." I complain as the aching begins to seep into my lower back. It creeps up my spine with every wave of soreness.

"We've been on the road for a while. Not to mention however long you've been about before you picked me up the other day."

"No rest for the wicked." I dismiss his words laced with concern.

I have been traveling for a long time now. After the institute's downfall and discovering Far Harbor, my list of things to do has gotten significantly fuller than ever before. I could definitely use a break.

Being as lost in thought as I was, I hardly noticed the man who sat himself beside me and leaned in. In fact, I don't think I'd have even noticed if it wasn't for the look on Deacon's face. I turned and eyed the man in confusion. His shaded glasses and cap lead me to believe he didn't want his face showing, so I got the idea.

"Hey, you wouldn't happen to have a Geiger counter on you?" My voice is low, but still loud enough for Deacon and mystery man to hear.

"No, mines in the shop." He speaks nonchalantly. My heart eases a bit at the correct countersign. My attention snaps back as he wastes no time to lean closer to me and continue. "Desdemona needs to see you two. Pronto."

I shoot a worried glance over to Deacon, who's now standing up and sliding the half-eaten bowl of noodles back to Takahashi. I stand as well and cringe at the pressure being placed on my back once again.

"Be safe." I hear the man say before we're off again. Once leaving the premises of Diamond City, I voice my growing concerns to my buddy.

"Do you think something's wrong?" I ask, clenching my hunting rifle.

"Probably not." He leisurely keeps his pace up with mine. "Tom probably just needs you to set up another MILA."

"He never sends a messenger out for a freaking MILA, dude."

"Well I guess we'll see."

Upon entering the Railroad headquarters, Drummer Boy does the usual and approaches us, but I simply wave him off and insist I already know. We get to Tinker Tom and Desdemona, and once Tom sees us he can't hold the matter in any longer.

"Acadia contacted us and they're claiming there's been a breakthrough in whatever you have been working on with them but they say that nobody but you can know what yet." He takes in a deep breath after that word-vomit he just experienced. As he tries catching his breath, Desdemona turns towards me and flicks her cigarette onto the ground and steps up to me.

"I know Acadia is a very secretive place. We are as well. It's safer that way. But I insist you fill at least me in on this little project you have going on there. Especially if it's crucial to the synths."  She speaks softly, yet firm. The creases on the sides of her mouth intensify when she stresses. I sigh out of both relief and concern.