Crushes

Henry's POV

Class had just ended, and everyone was excused for break. Ralph and I were the last to leave. Once we got outside, a large group of girls walked past us. One was blowing kisses at us, and another was flipping her hair back, attempting to flirt. Obviously, it didn't work. We patiently waited for the girls to pass before we continued walking.

''Girls, ay?'' Ralph asked, clearly not liking their performance.

''Yup.'' I sighed in response. Soon enough, we reached our usual 'hang spot', as we like to call it. Basically just a secluded corner of the school grounds, with a surprisingly good view of the rest. I leaned against a wall, Ralph doing the same a few seconds later. Before I had a chance to speak, we heard a familiar voice approaching us.

Moody Margaret.

By the sound of it, she and her friends were going to turn the corner any second now. Me being, well.. Me, I stuck out my foot, causing the moody girl to trip and fall.

''Oops, I guess my foot slipped.'' I said sarcastically, smirking. Ralph started to snicker. Margaret got to her feet, and glared at me.

''I'll get you for this, Henry.'' She spat, storming off with her friends by her side.

''Pfft, she always says that!'' I scoffed.

''Girls will be girls..'' Ralph replied. I paused for a moment, glancing at him.

He's so cute.. Wait. Ew!

I mentally slapped myself.

I can't think that about him, he's my friend! ..Even if it's true..

''Henry? Henry!'' Ralph yelled, waving a hand in front of my face. I snapped out of my trance, blushing slightly.

''Oh, uh.. Heh, sorry.'' I said, smiling awkwardly. Before we could say anything else, the bell rang, signalling for us to head to our next class.

Once there, we sat down and waited for the teacher to start. We were about halfway through the boring lecture, when Ralph nudged me. I looked over at him.

''Hey, what's up? You've been acting weird all week.'' He said, sounding concerned.

Fuck, he knows.

''I'm fine, bud.'' I said, glancing at the clock.

''..Right..'' He replied, turning to face the teacher again.

He wasn't convinced. I knew he wasn't. He was the only person who could see through my lies, and that sometimes landed me in a pretty awkward situation. I say sometimes, because I rarely have to lie to him. But this was.. Different. I couldn't tell him. It'd ruin our friendship.

I sighed, resting my head on my hand as I patiently waited for the class to end.

>>Time Skip to Lunch<<

I swiftly left the room, Ralph still by my side. I avoided eye contact as we made our way to the cafeteria. We got our lunch, and sat down at a far table. I didn't eat. I just prodded the food occasionally with my fork in a failing attempt to get my appetite back. After a few minutes of this, Ralph spoke up.

''That's it.'' He dropped his fork on the table and turned to me. ''Something is wrong and I need to know what.'' I didn't respond. ''Please, Henry.. I hate seeing you like this..'' He said, putting his hand on my back. I thought for a moment, before pushing my lunch tray across the table and standing up.

''Well I can't tell you this..'' I walked to the end of the table, pausing for a moment. ''Yet.''

I left the room a few moments later. Once I was in the corridor, I leant against a wall and sighed.

I have to tell him. I just have to.

..But what if he rejects me?..

''Ugh!'' I slid down the wall, burying my face in my hands for a moment.

I love him..