2.2 | The River's Embrace |

The tree beneath Theron puffs a little, some smoke ebbing out from the cracks and holes

The tree beneath Theron puffs a little, some smoke ebbing out from the cracks and holes. The black powder flows out and settles into one of my free hands, while the other shifts slightly to manipulate the water through every ring of the remaining branches. Down into the roots and back towards the leaves, I cleanse out its veins and usher it back to life.

Green begins to form outside of the bark, plush moss sprouting out of the ground beneath his feet.

Remi whispers something under her breath, the fingers of her right hand tugging into the shirt pocket over her heart. Astonished, each of them almost appears to recite a prayer.

It must appear to them as a miracle, only now do I understand what these humans have been living without for so long. A small laugh escapes me when I notice the unique twist of concern enmeshed with every bitter, agonizing emotion. Even being infuriated with myself furthers the anger swelling inside the fibers of my being.

No.

I will not feel sorry for them.

The Destroyers brought this upon themselves.

Something clenches in my stomach and I yank back, stealing the life straight out of the plant and feeling the shadows of essence trail back into my core. My eyes flicker to life with heat, a red ember consuming the gentle gold and emerald colors so delicately woven together. Fingers tightening into my palms, a slow darkness creeps over the land before I realize what's happening.

Even my trees begin to wilt, the life being sucked from their seeds and roots.

I let go, releasing the precious life force back into the air.

"What just happened...?" Theron asks, bending down to touch the moss.

Rubbing my eyes, I sigh. "I'm too tired to be showing off."

"Showing off?" Daniel blinks, looking at me head on. "You turned into someone else for a second, instead of healing the plants you were killing them..."

"Unfortunately that's what I'm good at," I snap, crossing my arms and going back to the water. "Life isn't my forte."

A silence grows again, the breeze gone from my little explosion. I wasn't emotionally or mentally fit to repair the planet on my own. The forest needs more from me than I have to offer, more than I ever will have.

Biting my lip, I try to breathe. Lindon's the one with patience, not me.

He'd tell me to try though.

Another deep breath and I consider all the options. It might be too late to salvage these relationships now. I don't want to make negative impressions, yet harboring this hatred for humans might be more problematic than I realized previously.

Remi walks around to me this time and squats down in my general vicinity. "What are you? What are you doing out here?"

Laying down in the water, I glance up to meet her eyes. "Are you sure you want to know? The last person to ask is dead."