23.1 | A Butterfly Effect |

Daniel's Perspective

 No one knew where the earthquake had come from or why the world began shuddering and cracking at the seams. Smoke billowed up from where a few buildings had been leveled, but the worst of it came from the villagers.

Women and children screamed and ran in every direction, even the hive mindedness of the group aimed for the town's exit, as if the earth would calm down if they left. Though, surely many of them had no idea what tectonic plates were or why the ground could rumble so fiercely.

Their fear creates friction within the thread of our reality's fabric.

They pull and strain, aching and ripping themselves apart.

I tried my best to stay away from catastrophic events, I did everything I could to escape this very sensation.

But Iridian had brought me right back into the heart of it.

Something told me from the beginning I would be running through hell and back at her side. Forced to live with the overwhelming force of my guilt. The aunt I'd never met, the aunt I never knew I had.

Yet not even a drop of our blood would be the same.

The earth screams now because she does.

I just left her there.

It doesn't take long for the strange witch to come bustling out of the apartment a few yards forward, her claw-like grip holding a young silhouette tightly. Meika's black hair flashes in the sun for only a moment before she draws the hood of her cloak up tightly over her head and attempts to vanish in the crowd.

Remi struggles and huffs behind her, trying and failing to writhe away and get back to the apartment.

But it's not safe here anymore...

I wonder if the ancient woman had known what would happen when the two of us left into the night. Even as dawn peaks over the buildings and hints at the coming day, she seems unyielding, unwavering. As if this very moment were calculated.

Violet eyes scan every individual human being as if time had frozen in her assessment. Her focus lands on me, body stilling when she notices that I'm alone.

Her lips part, whispering a short, concise word.

Meika's eyes narrow into a command, ordering me to follow her.

I miss the alert panic in her gaze when my focus shifts back to the tavern. My name faintly echoes in the sea of screams, startling me to push off the ground and bolt after her, despite the impulse I have to seek help.

"Daniel! Move!"

Iridian had spoken of a Witch leader named Tamsin, explained her kadence to be unique and thoughtful compared to the many experiences she'd had throughout her lifetime.