Heart to Heart

Blake

As soon as I finish storing chips as well as four boxes of pizza on the countertop in the kitchen, I take a glimpse at the direction where I notice most of the people coming into the villa as well as they begin chatting with their friends and dancing to the tropical music blaring in the background. Despite the fact that I witness some of the guests bringing liquor to the villa, that's their responsibility; to get drunk and let loose along with sex it and exit the next morning just like Marlon Wayans said. I am not gonna drink my problems away by getting caught with alcohol in the bottle as it would escalate drama and conflicts that have been bottled up in my mentality. I'm better off with drinking a bottle of Gatorade and drive safely when the party is over.

The buzz of my phone becomes the reason why I peer at the text message from my mom.

Mom: Hey, honey. The kids and I just left the ice cream parlor and I'm babysitting them at Kehlani's because God forbids Phedora to lash out in front of my grandchildren. If she does, I'm cracking my whip.

My mother is right about that. I wouldn't want to bring Tessa in the same room as Phedora. It's not that I don't want my eldest daughter to be in my mother's apartment, it's just that—I don't know. I don't want Phedora to cause a scene by pounding on Kehlani's door to tell her to stay away since I already allowed Kehlani and Tessa to stay for breakfast a while ago. My fingers begin dancing on the keyboard displaying on the screen, sending my responsive text to her.

Me: Thank you, mom. I'll see you guys when I get back.

Sensing my stomach rumbling and growling, I make a decision to get a paper plate off the counter as well as opening a box of the cheese pizza that smells fresh out of the oven. Taking my first bite of the crunchy and soft pizza, I take notice that my sister in law, Lalah is approaching towards me with her arms spreading wide. "Hey, Blake!" She smiles.

"Hey, sis," I greet her with a friendly hug and nickname her that despite the fact she is two years younger than Phedora. She pulls away from my embrace. "So, Blake how is my niece and nephew doing?" Lalah queries.

"They're fine. My mom is babysitting them. Do you remember Tessa?"

"Yes!" Lalah nods with a duh tone in her voice. "Kehlani talks to me and Ruth about Tessa almost everyday. She looks so much like you and her. Some people say that daughters look mostly alike their mothers while the sons resemble their fathers. Tessa has your nose and lips as well as your blonde hair."

"Yeah, well my mom is babysitting her as well. I'm visiting her almost everyday since her mother and I bumped into each other at the mall when we went back to school shopping about a month ago." I tell.

"That's fantastic of you, Blake!" Lalah nods intriguingly. "You and Kehlani were the it couple that most of the people in school used to look up to. I don't why my whore of a sister made you drop your daughter as if she's a forbidden apple to pick up from the ground after falling from a tree, but mostly you're back into her life as her dad. Do you know where Kehlani is, by the way?"

"The last time I checked, my Cousin Steven is unsure if Key would come to the party." I inform her.

"Oh, man!" Lalah shakes her head. "I'll find some time to rant about Phedora's stubbornness next time, but right now; I'm gonna have some pizza—Excuse me," I excuse her as she makes her plate and I begin taking myself on a journey of the villa starting up the stairs to discover an indoor heated swimming pool. If only I had of brought my swimming trunks with me before I left my mother's apartment to help my cousin around to set up for the party. I then take a hearing of a female moaning along with a man panting in lust in the corner of the room. I vamoose out of the room instantly and rush back to the kitchen as I bump into someone by their shoulder. "Watch it!" The guy exclaims with a scowl.