Chapter 17

*1 week later*

I still shake at the thought of what Colton did to me that night. I went to the police this time though. They did a rape kit and found Coltons DNA. I've been so shaky and closed off that I can barely think straight.,

Coltons trial is today. I am wearing jeans and a light blue jacket. I am going to be sitting in the audience until they ask me to come up to the witness stand. I called Oliver and he said he could be here with me today.

Walking inside the courthouse I find my lawyer. His name is Matt and he is really good at what he does. We go inside and sit at the other table just across the isle from Colton. He looks over at me and smiles making me wrap my arms around my waist and look down.

The judge walks in and we all stand and then sit back down. The jury is to the left of Colton and it consists of 8 females and 2 males.

"Colton Chiles you are be accused of rape and attempted rape multiple times to a woman named Rose Rones. Along with the murder of Kyle Jenkins. How do you plead?" the Judge says.

"Not guilty." Colton says leaning back in his chair. Oliver is sitting behind me and places his hand on my shoulder.

"Plaintiff your opening statement." the judge says and my lawyer stands up facing the jury giving his statement before sitting down and allowing the other side to give theirs. My mind goes to another place as things seem to just blur around me. Even if he does get convicted it will never measure up to what I will now be going through for the rest of my life.

Suddenly I hear someone call my name. "Rose Jones! You're up next on the witness stand." I stand up slowly looking at Matt before heading up to the stand. I can feel Coltons eyes on me as I sit down. The way he is staring at me makes my stomach drop and Matt walks up to me.

"Rosalie Jones is that correct?" He looks at me without emotion.

"Yes..." I say cautiously with a nod.

"Is the man that raped you here today? If yes can you point him out?" My hands begin to shake and Matt begins to notice giving me a sympathetic look. Lifting my hand I point at Colton and his eyes narrow for a split second before I look back at Matt.

"Do you know the offender?" he asks.

"Yes. I do. He was my boyfriend 2 years ago."

"Did he try to rape you when you two were together." I look down and shake my head.

"He said I wasn't' good enough."

"When did he try to rape you the first time."

"Ummm... I-I was in a restaurant with my boyfriend-"

"That boyfriend was Kyle Jenkins correct?" he interrupts me to clarify.

"...Y-Yes. I went to the bathroom and Colton came in..." I say nervously and Colton has a slight smile on his face.

"When did Colton actually rape you?"

"Last week. I got home from work and he was already there." I say with a shaky voice. He turns to the jury and says, "After this incident, Rosalie went to the police and a rape kit was performed. It had come back with Coltons DNA." A shiver goes down my spine as I clench my sides tighter.

"I am going to ask you about Kyle Jenkins murder now okay?" Matt says. Tears well up in my eyes and I nod. "How did it happen?" he asks.

I told him about how it happened and I started crying. After that question, Colton's lawyer comes up to ask me about the rape charges so I wipe my eyes.

"Were you drunk or on drugs on any of these occasions?" he asks seriously.

"No I was not." I reply looking at the older man with a white beard.

"Did you say "no" or "I don't want to"?"

"Yes I did multiple times." I cry out softly before wrapping my arms around my waist.

"What were you wearing Ms. Jones?"

"Objection!" my lawyer says standing up.

"Sustained." the judge said looking towards me. "Answer the question Ms. Jones."

"I-I was wearing my work clothes a white t-shirt and my black shorts..." my nails start to dig into my sides.

"No further questions your honor." a horrifying smirk lines his lips.

"You may step down Ms. Jones." the Judge says.

The trail goes by fast as I am zoned out. The Jury leaves and I turn to face Oliver and he holds onto my hand.

"Whatever happens I am here." after he says that the Jury comes back in and sits down one person shows the judge the verdict before standing before the court.

"With the charge of Attempted rape, we find the defendant... Not guilty, with the charge of rape we find the defendant guilty, and with the charge of 2nd Degree murder, we find the defendant... guilty. Life in prison with a chance of parole in 30 years." At first it doesnt register. He did rape me! I may not leave here today with justice being served to me but at least Kyle was given some.

"Dismissed." the judge says and the police officer takes Colton past me.

"I will get you back for this." he hisses through his teeth.

"Is that a threat?" Matt asks standing up. But the police officer just takes Colton away. I walk out of the room with Oliver and Matt.

"Thank you for taking this case Matt I really appreciate it," I say still a little shaky.

"Of course now you truly can start fresh," he says with a smile walking out of the courthouse so I turn to Oliver.

"Thank you for being here." he nods and hugs me gently.

~~~~~

I am standing outside of IGM and my palms are sweaty I went home to go change into my black pencil skirt and thin white blouse. This is where it begins.