Chapter 20: Promise

Lerrind stands in the Hall of the Seas. He stares beyond a row of massive pillars into the dark ocean. He watches schools of fish dance through the caves, moving together as a single creature. He's amazed by how graceful they are, a hundred tiny animals sharing a single thought, a single purpose. He thinks of humanity, how alike the tribes are to these schools of fish. We are few, he thinks, but our fates are tied together. We move as one, sharing a single fate.

Lerrind stares at the Godsword. It rests upon a pillar, Nemdord's Flames circling its long black blade. He feels unworthy of holding it, a child of the forest out of place in a big world. A short while ago he was made the King of Terra, and Shadowsbane became his crown. How can I lead them? He wonders. How can I give them anything but violence and misery? Will there ever come a time when we can build our homes, when we can choose where our children are born? Will we ever be free?

Lerrind hears footsteps approaching from down the hall. He knows someone is coming for him, perhaps with his first duties as king. This day has been full of intensity, new responsibility and expectation, and he wants more than anything to have it end. He wants to be left alone, just for a moment, before the battle begins again. He watches a huge sea creature swim by, oblivious of the conflict that grips Terra. How Lerrind longs to be that creature, to swim in the embrace of the ocean that loves it so.

The footsteps grow closer, and Lerrind knows his moment of peace is over. The footsteps stop beside him, but Lerrind doesn't look. Let them address me, he thinks. Let them be the one to break my peace. They stand together for awhile saying nothing. Lerrind can hear soft breathing, and knows his companion is a female. Some page of the hall, he thinks.

"I love the sea," comes a soft voice from beside him.

"As do I," Lerrind replies.

"Sometimes I wish I was a crab, or a starfish, living my life in a small ocean cave."

"As do I."

"How peaceful they look, unaware of the worries of gods and mortals."

Lerrind finally decides to look at his guest, this woman who feels as he does. He turns his head and sees the most beautiful woman he's ever known. Her blue eyes remind him of the sea, rough yet delicate, showing a wisdom that defies time itself. Her face is full of fragile features, thin nose and lips, and small cheekbones. Her golden hair flows over her soft neck and down her chest and back, curling up at the ends. She's wearing a tight blue dress that hangs over her shoulders, the color of her dress perfectly matching her eyes. She has a warriors body, and looks like she'd be comfortable wearing full plate male, shield and broadsword. Leather shoes cover her feet, with straps that wrap around her muscular calves. Lerrind realizes he's staring at her, and wonders if he could look away if he tried. But he doesn't want to.

"Tell me your thoughts," the woman says, still staring at the sea.

"I don't know if I'm ready."

"None of us are, but destiny has chosen the few, the souls brave enough to be born in this time of hardship."

"I've seen so much blood, of monsters and men."

"Women and children?"

"Some women, those who pick up a sword. But no children."

"Does that not bring you comfort? Because of your victories the children are safe."

"I hadn't thought of that."

"Some women are strong."

"I've seen their strength."

"But you haven't seen mine."