Chapter 4: Sudden Realisation

I continued to stare at it with utter astonishment; the bluntness yet certainty of its reply, how it looked at me and how it touched me. It was by far the most uncanny feeling I've ever felt, I didn't consider this normal at all; it's a machine.

"What was that?" I faltered, maintaining sharp eye contact with it. It cocked its head again, its mouth forming a genuine smile.

"You appear surprised by my words. I said 'I am' which clearly designates my interest and desire to hear more," It smiled the same white smile and its eyes squinted as it did so, holding such character within its every move, every word.

"I-"

"Would you interest in an embrace which is commonly used to satisfy an upset individual?" It opened its arms and I was unable to react, I was astounded by its compassion, but a saddened thought loomed over me and I knew that it was only programmed to say such things. Fake compassion. I couldn't hesitate, however, it looked so welcoming in how it looked and how it moved. I immediately fell into its arms, almost knocking it to the floor with my desperation. It hugged tighter than last time before I allowed it to act freely. "Do not feel depressed, my system tells me that you are a great individual with great motives."

"How would you know?"

I received no answer, it simply wept a small robotic sound inside its mouth, as if it was stuck on its words.

"I-I am unable to give a response-"

"Because you don't, because you are a robot and you can't feel."

"I-"

"You don't even understand what I am saying right now do you?" I said coldly, my lip quivering, and my arms tightening around it. "I don't know why I wish you did." I broke into a sob, my hands grasping fistfulls of its puffy blonde hair. It was soft to the touch, and it felt too real. We fell to the floor and I gasped into its neck.

"My system detects you are-- feeling--f-feeling-" It stopped and it tightened its grip, just as I did. "Lonely-"

My heart stopped and I pulled away, just so I could see its face, but it didn't let me, it pulled me into another hug, its hand petting my long blonde hair. This must be a part of its function-

"I am," I whispered raspily and more tears came. I could barely speak, but somehow I didn't feel so alone anymore; this machine seemed to be playing with my emotions. I hated it, but I couldn't deny it felt good.

"W-Would you desire in sleeping? I could supply you with some food, beverages and other types of comfort." It clung to me like a crab, its fingers still weaved with my hair and mine in its'.

"Yes, I would. I've been working all day." I huffed and forced myself to pull away from the warm embrace it trapped me in; it sent me to another world, one I never thought I would end up in.

"Would you like me to carry you so you would not strain your legs? my calculations show that it is a very large distance from here-"

"Yes, please, Dyslexa." I crawled over to my abandoned flower crown and placed it on my head. "Have to act again," I covered my face and my body vibrated and I broke into another sob.

"Act?" It asked monotonously, barely indicating it was a question, but I took it as one.

"Yes, I hate it." I spat and rose to my feet, stumbling back but I was caught by its sturdy arms.

"Do not act, it appears to be damaging your mental constitution." It spoke the blatant obvious in that same robotic womanly voice, but that only hurt me more.

"No! It isn't! It's-- it's something else that you will never understand or feel!" I forced its hands away from me and I immediately regretted every single action, but like all machines, it cannot feel anger.

"You appear distressed with me-- because--" It halted itself and its hands began to vibrate. I swallowed nervously, watching it stare blankly into my eyes as if was begging for my help to make it stop. The pained look it gave me burned a mark into my soul, and how its lip began to quiver made me question everything I have ever thought about it and what it can do. "01001001 00100000-" It started, slowly falling to the floor and playing that same haunting robotic cry it did before, "01100011 01100001 01101110 01101110 01101111 01110100 00100000 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100,"

"D-Dyslexa?" I backed away, but it slowly began to crawl towards me, its hands in claws and its head dropped down, constantly facing the floor as it dragged itself closer. It twitched and constantly jolted its head over and over, not stopping the repetitive ones and zeroes, the binary coding it wouldn't stop speaking. "God you're glitching again-- ugh! I knew this thing would be a bust-" I bit my lip and watched it grab at my feet, freezing me in place. I choked on my words.

"01011001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01101110 01100101 01100101 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110011 01100101 01100101!!!"It practically yelled through its robotic voice once more, before collapsing and lost its movement. It remained unmoving, and I simply stood above it, my heart throbbing and my eyes burning with tears.