Chapter 5: Cleansing

It has been far too long and it still hasn't turned back on, but once midnight came, I had this urge to put it into bed, just so it was somewhere--
My trembling fingers pulled the blankets over its still body, and the question roamed my mind, screaming at me that this was pathetic; I put the thing into bed, and I even pulled the blankets over it, as if it would get cold, or feel vulnerable to this world. My lip quivered and stared at its pale face, those lips parted slightly, and its closed highlighted eyes, I suppose that gives a feel of it being at rest. What was wrong with me?

I walked around the bed and walked up to the small window, admiring the white glow of the moon, and how its light danced on the ocean's waves, my feeling of peace that rarely showed its head crept up on me, and I couldn't stop a smile. I gently pulled the curtains together, no longer allowing me to see the white lights. I turned around slowly, still seeing its lifeless object of a body lying in my bed. I scorned it, but there was this small granule of compassion I felt for this thing, and I hated it. I kicked off my slippers and crawled into bed, my body having to be next to this robot's, but I suppose there is no shame in trying to cure this loneliness I cannot eradicate. I swallowed deeply, my hands still trembling, and I rested my head on the coloured pillow. My legs accidentally met its' legs, and I huffed, hating how it felt so real. I couldn't bare this urge-- I slowly slithered my hands around its waist and I pulled it close, feeling myself smile, my lip shaking. This must be what it feels like to have something or someone next to you--to help you sleep at night.  I pushed my nose into the side of its neck, finding discomfort at the feeling of its messy blonde locks ticking my nose; I couldn't deny, they looked quite gorgeous. I inhaled deeply, the realistic smell of organic matter infiltrated my nostrils, and I smiled again.

I was actually happy

There was still something missing, but I couldn't take this moment for granted; I loved how this felt, just us both lying in silence-- I forged these thoughts of this robot becoming a real girl, a fantasy almost, and it was heavenly. She laughed, spoke in such a soft but certain tone, and she was stubborn but such a kind gentle creature. I gasped under my breath and felt warm liquid trickle down the bridge of my nose, but I was torn from my mind by the sound of a quiet gentle beeping sound. I swallowed.

"Dyslexa?" I croaked out a whisper, my eyes drowned in tears. The wall it was facing lit up, indicating it had opened its eyes. It flashed, on and off; it must have blinked twice.

"My system feels cold-" it said so quietly, and I almost had a heart attack at how shattered it sounded. I let out a sob, and I gained its attention. "I detect you are feeling sad-- why do you feel sad?" It asked, and it finally turned around to face me; I was prepared to be blinded by its glowing eyes but somehow it knew, and the glow faded as it looked at me.

"You were right." I squeaked out all I could, covering my mouth. "I am lonely." My legs lifted themselves to my chest, and I whimpered a stifled sob. I heard a saddened tone escape its lips.

"My design is specifically built to satisfy a user, if you need me to provide you with settlements for your slumber, then I shall." It blinked again and smiled. I gulped, slowly sliding my hand onto its waist. I simply stared at it, wondering if it really could think for itself, or if it could think at all. "My system detects you would like to endure in physical occupation?" It pushed itself closer and I gasped. "I will act based on your body temperature and how you speak. I would not want to cause discomfort." The more it spoke the more this feeling angered me, but soon, as I pushed myself closer into its comforting embrace, the anger turned to sadness and longing, a longing for something I wish I could have, I couldn't understand what it was though, I just couldn't erase this feeling. I remained silent, not answering its responses, but it was understanding--it somehow new I was ignoring it. "Would you prefer silence? I can remain silent if you wish-" It said slowly, sounding almost disappointed. I simply sighed.