Chapter 3 Escape Plan

The thought of the beast tearing me apart limb by limb, came to me over and over as I slowly and quietly moved away.

Turning back to fight another day isn't cowardice, I thought to myself justifying the plan forming in my mind. Sometimes, it saves your ass, like mine right now.

As soon as I had fairly distanced myself far enough from where I heard the beast lurking, I quickly turned and sprinted away.

Before long, I heard leaves rustling and twigs crunching, followed by a heavy thump on the ground as if a large creature has just landed. There was no doubt about it, I was being followed!

So I ran as fast as I could, daring not to look back. I was afraid doing so would just waste precious time of my escape.

And so through the woods I rushed, making sure of the direction I must tread. I swear I could have gone faster, but it was impossible in this kind of terrain. It was a forest for God's sake.

With my weapons still in my hands, I found it hard to maneuver through the bramble vines of the forest floor. So I holstered my gun back in my pants; but there was no chance to sheath my dagger. So I just held onto it, using it like a mini machete slicing through the jungle vines and thick bushes.

I leaped and hopped, careful amongst the undergrowth. Any miscalculated step would mean tripping, and eventually, one swift death. Focus was the key to my survival in this kind of situation.

I had thought of my radio phone, our walkie-talkie I coud use to call for help. I groped for it in the side of my belt but surprised to see it was missing.

Damn it, I forgot to bring that friggin stuff!

Dante wouldn't forgive me forgetting that walkie-talkie. He was reminding it everytime... unfortunately, not today!

I swear, if I lived this through, this will be one hell of a story. Dante wouldn't believe me, that's for sure; but Doc would.

I was running non-stop for almost fifteen minutes now, and I could hardly breathe from extreme exhaustion. I needed a breather, I needed to stop; but there was no way that beast would give me that chance.

Panting and gasping, my movement had finally slowed to a halt. I was coughing and gasping almost at the same time, before I threw up.

Shit! I can't run anymore.

Like a trapped prey nowhere to go, my only option now was to face my predator head on.

I will not go down without a fight. I am no easy prey, you damned beast!

Quickly, I clutched my gun and shoved it to him. My finger itched under the trigger when something unexpected turned out.

Where the hell is it? I gasped. Where did it go?

I was still catching my breath when I scanned my surroundings. I could feel the heavy rise and fall of my chest as I anticipated an attack. I looked back, to the sides, and ahead of me, but there wasn't anything. I couldn't even hear a slightest growl; I couldn't feel the beast.

A quick moment later, I was beginning to calm down. The beast's mere absence tranquilized the forest itself. Maybe it got tired and lost interest in me, or maybe it was just too hurt to go on. However, just as I had taken my guard down, my foot felt something trickled on the nearby ground.

I swiftly looked down and checked what it was. And in just one quick glimpse, the truth had me turned into a sizeable stone. I realized, it was one friggin drop of blood! And I knew, it must have come from something.