Chapter 4

Everyone seemed to be staring at me. Especially Melanie's friends: Amelia-Mae, and Penelope; I felt their eyes boring into the back of my head. I tried to ignore them, but I couldn't. I tried not to feel bad. I had stood up, I had fought for my rights, I had- oh, God, what had I done? I had insulted Melanie. Melanie. Of all people I could've insulted, I insulted Melanie. FML, although I'm not really sure what that means- I'm not really the person to use social media, I only really have an unused twitter account. Hm. Forget my life? Fancy my life? No...oh yeah. I remember. Oops. Pardon my French.

Our PE supply teacher, a tall, skinny, blonde lady with a pinched nose, decided it would be fun to put us in partners with people she knew we weren't friends with. Great.

"Lavender. Or would you prefer to be called Lav?"

I blushed and the rest of the class giggled. I didn't know if this teacher was trying to be funny or amusing, but lav was short for lavatory, and I didn't want to be associated with one, although, my life seemed to relate to one at the moment- my life was crap.

"I'll go with..with..Laven-"

"Lav it is!" She interrupted. The class burst into laughter again and all I want to do is cry. The teacher scans the crowd, looking for a partner for me, and instantaneously picked the girl who had her head lowered the most (so she wasn't picked, but obviously that plan backfired) - Melanie.

"Oh great." She exclaimed moodily when Miss wasn't looking. And the moment she turned round, it was "OMG hi! Bestie, I haven't talked with you in ages! How's life, Lav?" I keep a straight face as Miss appears pleased, although I could feel Melanie's fake nails digging into my skin as she spoke. As soon as Miss looks away, I shove her off of me.

"Awh, having a tantrum are we? My little sister does too. My mum says you grow out of it around the age of five. But don't worry, some people are slow developers."

I bubble over with hatred and anger.

"So, how's your pretend period going?" I say in mock-kindness. "At least I've actually started mine. Now who's underdeveloped?"

Melanie blinks at me in disbelief. And before I knew it, she was on the floor bawling, and I was being sent to head of year for 'punching, kicking, and pulling her hair when she was trying to be friendly." What a lie.

Something suddenly clicks inside me as I got closer to the school gates. I could just escape. I could just climb over. I think. I try to get rid of the thought from my mind but it overcomes me. I stop. Staring up at the tall, metal gates, I notice I could easily just climb over them. And that's what I do.