Chapter 2: She's Terminal

Author's note: In my one year as a GF fanfic writer, this was the single most difficult piece of writng I have ever written. It hurt writing this and Marehami's edits have made it even more emotional. This chapter in gonna hurt, brace yourself. Your about to read something you will remember for a while.

 Your about to read something you will remember for a while

Art credit to Hntgurl13

Chapter 2

Another day dawned. The feeling was surreal, only a few summers earlier, The Mystery Shack had been the go to place for over priced merchandise and fake taxidermy creatures made to look real that had fooled tourists for decades.

But today, like it had been for a while now, the Shack stood silent, as silent as the dwellers inside were. A fading sign reading Closed for Family Emergency hung outside. Everyone in town knew that it was more than a family emergency, it was a crisis, the most integral part of their family was gone, and never coming back.

Wendy and Soos had actually remained on board as employees, because even though they were no longer serving customers, or even getting paid, they were still desperately needed in the shack. Wendy was about the only person Dipper would talk to at all, though he still held back discussing his grief with her. And Soos, the dear boy had been part of the Mystery Shack crew for so long that coming into work was second nature to him. He just wished that aside from sweeping the shop over and over again he could do more to help. He especially wanted to help his poor boss, and the man that he saw as a father, but he knew that the man he loved and respected so, was nothing more than a hollowed shell without his baby girl.

Stan sat in his office starring at a photo of the day he and Ford had officially adopted Dipper and Mabel. When he had first agreed to watch over Dipper and Mabel for the summer he never imagined all the wonderful things that it would lead to. He would finally get his brother back physically, after a little more time he had gotten him back emotionally, and through it all he had been able to accept himself as who he was for the first time in his life. He owed all of that to both kids, but especially to that sweet little girl who accepted him right from the start.

His life had been all but destroyed when Mabel passed away. The night that he found out she was terminal was the hardest night of Stan's life. That night she left them. The memory was so painfully vivid in his mind. It hurt him every time he thought of it, he wished he could take a memory gun and wipe it. He knew better than that though, now that she was gone each and every moment with her was priceless, even the painful ones.

He and Dipper had sat there by her bedside as she slept, stroking her hair, and holding her hand. They were doing everything in their powers to be as close to her as possible, maybe deep down they already knew, in a way only a family could. They felt like they couldn't comfort her as best as possible without their whole family with them. Ford had been gone for nearly the entire day. Mabel had been asking about him all day, and Stan had been desperately trying to reach him when suddenly the doctor walked in with an unreadable expression on his face.