Chapter 4

"Cole, come back," Nya shouted after his retreating form.

          The girl Ninja glanced around at the others. Jay was shocked, still worried even though Cole had verbally abused him. Zane was staring down the hall, deep in thought. Misako had rushed off, probably to get Sensei Wu.

          Kai, on the other hand, scared her. He was silent, though his face expressed everything. It matched the Earth Ninja's look perfectly; physical pain was there in the way he winced whenever he moved, and emotional hurt in the way his eyes were glazed over and his face slack, blank. It was almost as if Kai could feel what Cole was.

          Nya walked over to her brother and hugged him. He shook his head, shaken out of his thoughts, and hugged back.

          "What's wrong," she whispered.

          "Nothing," he muttered back, "with me, at least, but with him..." The Fire Ninja trailed off and sighed. Shifting till his mouth was right next to her ear, he whispered, "He still loves you, you know."

          He pulled back, suddenly leaving Nya to support herself. She stumbled, and Kai caught her, staring at her intensely, waiting for her reaction.

          "But...he...I...why?" This revelation stunned the Water Ninja, reawakening all the old feelings she felt for the Black Ninja.

          Her brother shrugged. "Dunno. I just know what he feels, not why he feels it." Kai smiled at her, then frowned. "Don't tell Jay about any of this, or that whole feud and the problems that went with it will come back. Cole's got enough on his plate as is."

          "Don't worry," Nya replied. "I don't want that to happen as much as you do. But I have one question."

          Kai tilted his head to the side. "Shoot."

          "How do you know so much about how Cole feels? It's like you're...connected, somehow." The Fire Ninja paled considerably, and Nya narrowed her eyes.

          "I...uh...I don't know," he stammered, "I guess working together so closely allowed me to be able to read him pretty well. Anyway, I better go check on him. See you later, sis." Kai sped off, leaving his sister behind. He was lying, she was sure of it. She'd get it out of one of them sooner or later. But now, she had to tend to a shell-shocked Jay. They still didn't know why he'd started sticking food up his nose.