Chapter One - Lasagna and Boxes

My chocolate brown eyes carefully watch my partner Hank Anderson, an older man with grey hair just a tad bit shorter than chin-length and a grey beard to accompany it, as he scrambles aimlessly around the house looking for something. This 'something' he is looking for, I do not know. Whenever I attempted to ask the old man he just grunted out a vague 'something' before continuing his search. It was rather amusing to watch Hank run around the house, it made me chuckle every time he almost tripped over Sumo. I could be much help to Hank if he would just let me know what this missing item was but, of course, the grumpy, secretive man kept his jaws shut.
"AHA! Found it!" Hank cheered as he held the once missing item up into the air. I tilted my head and furrowed my brows at the older man before speaking.

"You were looking for... A cookbook?" I questioned.
"Mhm." I just watched the old man in an utter loss for words as he heads to the kitchen with his cookbook in hand.
"Why couldn't you have... Just told me what you were looking for? It would have been a much faster process then-"
"You don't have to tell me that, smart ass." Hank snapped defensively, cutting me off.
"I wanted it to be, y'know, a surprise or somethin'."

Hank sets the cookbook down on the kitchen table before opening it up to a page with a sticky note in it that was most likely used as a page marker.

"Oh. A Surprise?" I ask before walking into the kitchen behind Hank.

"Yeah, somethin' fun we could do together or whatever," Hank replies. I look at the page the cookbook was opened to with a raised eyebrow. I quickly scan the page instead of reading it so I could obtain information faster.

"Why are we making lasagna, Lieutenant?" I question, and Hank groans at me.
"Why do ya gotta ask so many questions? It's for our new neighbor, I thought we should quick make this before work so when we get home we'll have something to give them. Now, will you just shut the hell up and help me?" I blink in surprise at Hank's response before smiling.

"Of course, Lieutenant," I say before I start helping him get out the materials necessary for the lasagna.

As Lieutenant Anderson and I begin making the lasagna, I think about meeting our new neighbor. I wonder what they are like. Is it a family of people? Is it just one person? Are they male, female, or other? How old are they? What are their hobbies? What do they look like? There's just so much I don't know about whoever just moved next door, and it made me very curious. I wonder if Hank and I will get along with them. Humans pride themselves on how many people they have close to them, and sometimes it makes me a little sad that I don't know that many people to have a friendly chat with. It would be nice if there was just someone willing to talk to me, that would be rather nice actually-
"CONNOR!" I let out a yelp at the booming voice of Hank Anderson trying to gain my attention.
"Oh, I must have spaced out without realizing it. My apologies, Lieutenant." I say to Hank, who in return lets out a 'tsk' noise before turning back to making the lasagna.

Still though, as much as I wanted to help Hank make the food, my mind kept wandering off. I was just so... Curious about our neighbor. I wonder what they're doing right now?

---

"SHIT!" I hiss out as the box I was holding drops onto my foot. I'd started cleaning out the boxes in my room at around roughly 11:00 am. I woke up late this morning, surprisingly enough. I thought I'd wake up earlier due to the extra amount of sleep I'd gained by knocking out on my bed, but I guess my body was just too tired for that. Maybe it was from all the driving I did. I assume that would be it but I'm not for certain. Speaking of sleep, I silently prayed that I would be able to get some sleep tonight. After all, my first day working as a detective in Detroit starts the next day. I don't want to walk in all sleep deprived on the first day.