How to Write With Detail Ft NoirEleven

Advice Section 1:

Ciao Everyone. When I made this book club I was originally doing it to help promote others work. But I thought I could make it so much more. By trying to help others create amazing  works. So that's why I asked NoirEleven to write a short excerpt on writing with detail and here it is:

Detailed writing is about manifesting an image or situation instead of telling us what it is, how it is or isn't done.

Which can be make or break for most stories. Rich detail can control how a character is perceived by readers. Control the way your audience imagines your scenes. Detail is detrimental.

The way I view detail in prose is by visualising the words being transformed into 'live action' in my head. Can I visualise the way a character furiously slams her hand on the counter? Can I visualise an elated kid opening their birthday presents? Can I visualise a sullen widow reading her late husband's letter. Without rich detail, I wouldn't.

Though, ramming your stories with tonnes of detail won't instantly make it 'interesting' to read or full of imagery. It is smart to tailor your description to fit the context. For instance, one of my stories 'Sara's Diary' is written in first person POV, as if Sara was writing diary entries. The detail I choose to include is specific to her and what she can see and understand - so in turn is plentiful as she has an artistic eye. And it works as I feel it helps readers connect with her – something I aimed to achieve.

Whereas, in another one of my other stories 'm e l o d y/ Kakyoku', the detail given is limited to fit my main character's reserved nature. She processes things internally and in conjunction with it being written in third person, we aren't given too much that a situation is described in a sentence but not too little that we become bored of second guessing how something happened and why.

In short, see detail as an enhancer to your writing. Another step that will take your work to the next level. ~NoirEleven

A big shout out to NoirEleven for taking time out and writing this. Please make sure to follow and Read "Sara's Diary" by NoirEleven

If others have any suggestions on what to but in the advice corner please PM me. Or if you'd like to write here as well, PM me.

Thanks.