Chapter 7

We continued to trade regular messages over the next two years. Bas would send me pictures of him with Ernesto at pool parties, hiking in the mountains, and sipping beer with friends, while I would respond with updates from my classes. I told him random facts about earthquake resistance and water flow modeling, all of which he judged as stupid.

As my graduation approach, out of the blue, Bas said he was thinking about returning. He had gone as far as considering specific dates.

"How about Ernesto?" I asked.

"He understands what it's like to emigrate. His parents did it, and they often talk about visiting the village they grew up in. Ernesto's willing to come with me, at least for a while. He's in between jobs right now."

"That would be awesome! Come stay with me in K.L.!"

It was on my graduation day, in fact, while I was walking up to the podium to collect my certificate, when my phone rang with the news I had dreaded for years. My phone vibrated in my pocket, and I had to ignore it. When the call dropped, it rang again almost immediately.

It was Ernesto's number. It must be Bas calling to congratulate, I thought—he occasionally used Ernesto's phone when he was out of battery or credit or both. I called back after the ceremony was over.

"What's up?" I said, grinning to myself.

"Lan-Lan. Oh, Lan-Lan, it's bad. They've taken him! It happened this morning. I don't know what to do... I need to... I need to contact his next of kin."

"What are you talking about? What's happened?"

"I don't know how to contact Bas's family! It's urgent. ICE have taken him. They raided the restaurant this morning. He's in custody, but I don't know where!"

"ICE?" I said.

"Immigration and Customs Enforcement!"