Chapter 21

Having a different surname to Ernesto helped to minimize the risk of getting caught. If the police who eventually investigate our case went through records of vehicles spotted in the vicinity of our tunnel entrance and saw the name of a lady with a clean record and no obvious connection to Bas as the renter of a recreational vehicle, they would, I reasoned, pay it little attention. Moreover, Aunt V., as Ernesto called her, didn't live in Oakland. She had recently moved to Las Vegas, creating even greater separation.

I wanted to leave Oakland with Erny and be on the road to Nevada within hours of arriving, but my new companion was hesitant, jittery. It was seven in the evening.

"I... I need to get my head around all this..."

The thing was, I was sure that if Ernesto did get his head around what I was asking, he would outright refuse. So I piled on the pressure.

"If we're not out of here by tonight, we won't get to Vegas until tomorrow afternoon. We need to be there by morning so we can talk to your aunt, and go and pick up a vehicle that day. The drive to Chicago is nearly thirty hours, and the drive from Chicago to Florida is another twenty. Tunneling will take five days, but the Schattig Aardworm is only in this country for ten. Every minute counts!"

"You're insane... My aunt hasn't even agreed yet."

"I can't have this level of non-commitment. I am leaving here in half-an-hour, with or without you. I would appreciate use of your car, but if you won't even grant me that, then I'll find another way. There's always a way."

Ernesto clucked his tongue. "Fine! Wow, you're aggressive. I'm coming, but let me grab some clothes."