Chapter 23

Literally an hour after showing up at Aunt V.'s door, we were back in Erny's modest car with her on our way to an RV rental place.

"How's your retirement going?" Ernesto asked.

"I don't know what to do with myself. I used to work two jobs, and only had Saturdays off. Now—just look how desperate I am to get out of the house." Erny's aunt turned to me. "Tell me more about yourself, little lady."

"Perhaps later," I said. "We need to plan this hire first. I'm going to stay in the car while you and Erny go in and ask for a thirty-foot long motor home for ten days. I've checked their inventory, and there should be one available. The assistant might find it surprising that you want it right away, but just say, truthfully, that your nephew has made a surprise visit, and you want to take him on a road trip."

Aunt V. grinned. "I can do that. I like your style, Miss."

"If it's OK, you should pay for everything on your credit card. Don't worry, though, I have the costs all covered." I partially unzipped my rucksack so that Aunt V. could see the cash.

Her eyes bulged.

"Oh, and be sure not to list Erny as an additional driver," I said. "I don't want his name on any paper work. Say it's your treat. And that he drives awfully. Which is not true!"

"I don't think I'll cope doing all the driving," Aunt V. said, looking uncomfortable.

"We're going to share it. Of course I wouldn't ask you to drive the full fifty hours! Breaking the rental agreement is probably the least serious crime we'll be committing."

We turned up at a dusty parking lot with rows of trailers and campervans waiting to be occupied at 10am. I ducked down out of sight as Erny and his aunt wandered into the office, looking as casual as they could. It was spring, but the Nevada sun was strong, and I began suffering as soon as the engine switched off. The windows were mercifully left mostly open. In the warmth, I napped.

By midday, Aunt V. had keys in her hand. Then, with Erny in the car and Aunt V. in the RV, we drove back to her place where we made final preparations ahead of our Chicago drive.