Chapter Twenty-Eight: Dead Woman Walking

"You're quiet today, I heard you took a little trip to Maine, why?" Thomas questioned with suspicion in his eyes, he clicked his pen for the third time for the past five minutes we've been sitting in Viper's office- this time he wrote something down that only made me try t peek at his clipboard, but he hid his writing pretty well behind his thick cotton covered arm.

I couldn't look at him, if I did then my own question would slip out. "For answers."

"What answers?"

I didn't answer, only rubbed the base of my neck while staring at the photo hanging over the fireplace, a portrait of Viper's mother; I then realized how the female resemblance was very strong through the three generations. Thomas sighed lightly from my uncooperative attitude, "I thought we were making progress. Did you find what you were looking for?"

"No." Other than the horrible and most unlikely truth.

"Then you're upset about not finding out what you needed?"

I huffed, finally looking at him with a stern gaze that wanted him to stop talking. "How common is it for a person to fall obsessively and deeply in love with their captor?"

Thomas sighed heavily, and tapped his pen on the clipboard. "It's a very thin percentage, not really common with my line of study. Why?"

"Just asking."

"Are you going to give me more than one word answers, or are you going to elaborate on them?" He removed his thin glasses, twirling them around between his fingers before placing one of the ends in between his lips. He was studying me, trying to pinpoint my current problem just by looking.

"Depends on the questions."

"I assume you don't want to talk about Maine anymore, so I'm going to skip right to the chase if Emily leaving. She leaves tomorrow, and not once have you made an effort to speak to her."

"Did she tell you that? Or you gained information from another red head girl?"

"It doesn't matter where I got the information from. Besides, I'm both you and Elena's therapist, I have to know both of your whereabouts. You're upset-"

"I'm not upset. Emily has a second chance to be with her mother, I'm just glad and envious. I wanted her to myself, that's all. But I have to stay here because some fucking idiot is trying to kill me. It's funny, initially I'm dead, instead of me- the woman that finished college on the Dean's list and had the future of working in social services- is replaced by a shadow who's walking around and killing people for money."

Thomas face paled from my confession, I guess Viper didn't give him that tip that I was an assassin. "Is that a figure of speech?"

I scoffed and forced a lie, even though it's hard to make that an analogy or figure of speech. "Yeah." I rubbed my eyebrow and licked my lips, I was tired and wanted this section to be over as quick as possible. "I'm tired, I've been out in Maine all this week and not once have I slept. I left my pills here."

"Why?"

"Because if I took them, I wouldn't been able to think straight. It makes me groggy and uncoordinated half of the time."

"Without the pills you'll go into sleep deprivation, then full on insomnia. If it makes you groggy and uncoordinated, then I'll lower the dosage. For the meantime, I advice you to speak to Emily before she leaves."

That's the thing, how can I speak to Emily when all I can think about is her mother. That voice was highly familiar, and the guy described her the only way he could- even if it is impossible, I can't help but believe it. After the hour section, I went straight outside to the pool to see Nanette sitting on the side, dipping her feet in the water while enjoying the sun as if we didn't come back from hearing drastic news.