FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR
' YOU KNOW YOU CAN SAY 'FUCK,' RIGHT ? '

Ash lay on the ground with her hands folded over her stomach and eyes closed, and Nebula stood in shackles. A sigh escaped her, moving to massage her forehead again.

Nebula suddenly let out a noise of frustration. "Get out of my head!"

"What? You got something to hide? Apart from how much you want that yaro root."

"I am hungry," she answered. "Hand me some of that yaro root."

"No," Ash replied in a bored tone, eyes still shut. "It's not ripe yet, and I hate you."

"You hate me? You left me there while you stole that Stone for yourself. Yet, here you stand, a hero, a Garden of the Galaxy!"

Ash was quiet for a moment before she shifted to sit up. "A what?" Silence sat between them as she leaned back against the wall. "Did you mean Guardian of the Galaxy?"

"Oh."

"Why would we be the Gardens of the Galaxy?"

"I don't know. I thought it was stupid."

"Yeah, it would be." she agreed.

"It's still wordy."

"I wasn't the one who thought of it."

"Your name doesn't matter. I'll be free of these shackles soon enough, and I'll kill you, I swear."

"No. You'll live out your days in prison on Xandar, wishing you could." Gamora appeared behind Nebula, hands on her hips. Ash looked past her sister and to the other, furrowing her eyebrows. "Ash, you're needed up top." The two females walked up the stairs as Rocket and Quill sat in the pilot seats. Drax stopped behind her as Gamora shifted a hologram to see better. "We got an armed Sovereign fleet approaching from the rear. Why would they do that?"

"Probably because Rocket stole some of their batteries," Drax replied blatantly.

Ash looked at Drax, blinking slowly before her gaze shifted to Rocket whose mouth hung open.

"Dude."

"Oh, right." Drax shifted. "He didn't steal one of those. I don't know why they're after us. What a mystery this is."

The Sovereign started to fire at their ship, but Ash was too busy looking between Drax and Rocket with amazement.

Quill did his best to avoid them but glanced at the duo when he got the chance. "What were you thinking?" he yelled.

"Dude, it was really easy to steal."

"That's your defence?" Gamora asked exasperatedly.

"Come on. You saw how that High Priestess talked down to us! I'm teaching her a lesson!"

"Oh!" Ash placed her hand on her chest in mock surprise. "I didn't realize your motivation was so selfless. It's such a shame the Sovereign have mistaken your intentions and are trying to kill us!"

"Exactly."

"I was being sarcastic!" she shot back, iterating her words slowly and loudly.

"Oh no! You tricked me!" Rocket argued, leaning forward to enhance his anger. "You're supposed to use a sarcastic voice! Now I look foolish!"

Drax pointed at Rocket and laughed at him.

"I FUCKING DID, YOU WAMPRAT!"

"Shut up, Drax! You knew! You should have told us!" Quill scolded.