FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE
' HE'S NOT MY
FATHER . '

Ash slid across the floor towards the pilot seats and managed to grab ahold of one. She hugged it tightly, eyes scrunched shut as the forest approached fast.

"Groot, put on your seatbelt," Quill called from the front.

The impact threw Ash into the seat, and her shoulder erupted into blinding pain. The bumping of trees and the ground threw them around the ship before they came to an abrupt halt. Ash let go, and she fell to the floor, groaning in pain and holding her shoulder.

Gamora stumbled over to her, taking her uninjured hand and hauling her to her feet. A grimace formed on her face as she tried to move her arm, and the sisters exited the ship after collecting Nebula.

Gamora braced Ash's shoulder, the sisters locking eyes for a moment. "Either one of you could have gotten us through that field-" She gave a swift push and the snap of Ash's shoulder relocating shot throughout the forest- "If you had flown with what's between your ears instead of what's between your legs!" She turned from her sister and glared at Quill and Rocket.

Quill scoffed. "If what's between my legs had a hand on it, I guarantee I could have landed this ship."

Ash shook her head, working out her grimace as she rolled her shoulder. "It's not funny, Quill. We almost died because of your arrogance," she added softly.

"More like because he stole Anulax batteries!" Quill motioned at Rocket.

"They're called Harbulary batteries," Drax corrected.

"No." Ash glared at him, but her voice was still soft. "They're not."

"You know why I did it, Star-Munch?" Rocket turned to face Quill, who was almost shaking with anger. "Do you?"

"I'm not going to answer to 'Star-Munch'."

"I did it because I wanted to."

"Dick."

"What are we even talking about this for? We just had a little man save us by blowing up fifty ships!" Rocket questioned.

"How little?" Drax asked.

Rocket showed him with his finger and thumb. "Like this."

"A little one-inch man saved us?" Gamora asked incredulously.

"Well, if he got closer, I'm sure he'd be much larger."

Ash groaned in annoyance as Quill let out a small laugh. "That's how eyes work, you stupid racoon."

"Don't call me a racoon!"

"Oh, I'm sorry, I meant to say 'trash panda'."

Ash accidentally let a laugh slip out.

Rocket paused and looked at Drax. "Is that better?"

"I don't know."

"It's worse," Ash replied. "It's so much worse."

"You son-of-a-!" Rocket leapt at Quill, snapping at him.

Nebula looked up at the sky. "Someone followed you through the jump point." A huge spaceship hovered overhead, and the Guardians loaded their weapons with black mist forming in Ash's palms. "Set me free. You'll need my help."

Ash snorted.

"We're not fools, Nebula," Gamora spoke.

"You're fools if you deprive yourselves a hand in combat."

"You'll attack us the second we let you go," Ash answered.

"No, I won't," Nebula replied, shifting.

"You'd think an evil supervillain would learn how to properly lie," Quill added.