Chapter One: I Have a Dream

Most mothers might feel relief when they drop off something the size of a Christmas ham at a posh-looking daycare center, but I found I was trying not to hold back the tears. Trying to keep my head up as I walked in through the double doors—Iana strapped to my chest and Liam holding tightly to my hand—I wanted to find Rebecca Aldridge, the childcare coordinator who I'd spoken to on the phone, and interviewed with, last April. I walked around the corner, Liam keeping a good grip on my hand, and, when I saw Rebecca, I felt instant relief.

"Oh, Murphy!" Rebecca said, her voice as warm as it had been five months previously, as she motioned for another worker to continue to oversee a small group of some slightly older infants having tummy time. "And this young man must be Liam."

Liam smiled shyly up at Rebecca. "Hi, Ms. Aldridge," he said.

"Nice to meet you, Liam," Rebecca said sweetly before looking up at me. "And this precious thing must be Iana?"

I nodded, unhooking the buckle of the strap and easing her gently away from my chest. "Here she is," I said, holding her out to Rebecca.

"Oh, she's beautiful," Rebecca gushed, holding out her arms immediately, waiting patiently for me to place Iana into them. "You've brought her sleeping schedule?"

"Yes," I replied, handing over the paperwork, along with her bag. "There's more diapers in there, plus some milk."

"Wonderful," Rebecca said. "And the other schedule is in the bag for pick-ups?"

"Yes," I replied. "I'll be picking her up every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at three-thirty, and Tuesday and Thursday at five," I said.

"Perfect," Rebecca said as I looked down at Iana. "I'll put the milk in the fridge while you and Liam say your goodbyes."

"Thank you," I replied, smiling at her as she walked to the kitchen. "I love you, my darling," I whispered to her, kissing her head. I was pleased at the progression of her hair growth—black hair was growing healthily from her scalp, and she never pulled on it. "Liam, would you like to say goodbye to Iana?" I asked.

"Yes, please," Liam replied.

I bent down then, holding out Iana, and smiled when Liam kissed her forehead. "All right," I said quietly, waiting for Rebecca to return, and handed her over. "I guess that's it, then."

"We have your direct office line, and your cell phone number, so don't worry about a thing, please, Murphy," Rebecca said. "Everything will be fine."

"Thank you," I said, appreciating the encouragement as I shook her hand. "I'll see you later on this afternoon then. Come on, Liam," I said, taking him by the hand and leading him out of there and back towards my car.

"Why does Iana have to go to daycare, Murphy?" Liam asked.

I smiled. "Well, because she's too young to go to a big boy school like you," I explained, letting the button click to unlock my car, and watched to make sure Liam got into his booster seat before I shut the door. "And besides," I went on, getting into the car myself, "she's too little to be home alone all day."

"Why?"

"Because it's not safe," I said gently. "Ian and I only just began leaving you inside when we got outside with Iana sometimes, but you're old enough to come outside if there's an emergency. Do you know why?"

"Because I can walk and talk?" Liam asked.

I nodded, starting up the car. "Exactly. And now," I went on, pulling out of my parking space and out into the street, "we've got to get you to school, little man."