Chapter 7 ~ A Team's Effort

It was silent for long time after that piece of information was revealed. It was fitting, for a heavy bomb to have been dropped and then suddenly not know what to say. What WAS Gerald supposed to say? He had never been in such a situation before, he had no prior experience to being told something as personal as this.

Oh sure, he dealt with druggies in 7th grade, but that was nowhere near as surreal as the moments that just occurred. He swallowed thickly, occasionally glancing sideways in hopes of Marcelle to talk again. But she didn't, she looked forward with a stern face as expected of her.

By then, they had been crouched behind a bush as per Marcelle's instructions, surprising G when she was proven right that his brother had only arrived with the getaway vehicle that minute. It bewildered him that "Universe" as Marcelle had described, told him to wait and that the instructions were clearly true. Before, precognition was a dream, a joke, but now it was a reality sitting before him. A worthy reality.

It felt like such a shame to the young male, to be stealing a car from a family member whom he had grown up with. Deep down he was always jealous, he was never able to achieve the things the other did. With clear spite in his mind, and Marcelle could strongly sense that it was the case, he pushed the guilt away and allowed himself to lead, envy taking the wheel.

The stealth mission was over almost as quickly as it had begun, acting quickly and efficiently, fate decided to be on their side and allow for the car doors to have been forgotten, left unlocked. With a quick tutorial on how to hotwire a car, G had successfully broken into and stolen his brother's prised car with the help of a supernatural criminal lady in his passenger seat.

So long as G was with Marcelle, he figured that he would forever be out of harm's way – she had fate on her side after all.

Thankfully the car drive wasn't as silent as the beginning had been, both congratulating the other on their expertise with Marcelle and Universe as unstoppable duo and G as, well, a hotwire expert. The radio was up, the windows were down and Marcelle kicked the chair back to prop her boot covered feet onto the dashboard, sighing as the wind flooded her face. "You know, the whole world heard about my first ever prediction coming true!" She yelled, hollering over the screams of wind. G took a glance, listening to the story the girl had to tell.

"What? When?" He asked, pressing a button so her window would roll up, allowing the car to be silent. Marcelle took no care as she folded her arms.

"Did you ever watch that one day where the news was all over a girl who had screamed bloody murder about a death at a sleepover?" G blinked, remembering exactly what she was on about.

"That was you?" Marcelle nodded, smiling knowingly. "Holy fucking shit."

"Hey, language Mr, we gotta long way to go and I don't need Universe's disapproval right yet."

"Hey, Universe hasn't hated me yet." He laughed in response and the air was light and breathable. It felt right and somehow this new road trip was going to be a turning point for both of them. Marcelle was glad that they would be able to finally escape the continuity loop Universe and her had been in, G was just happy that the plan worked.

It was a team effort.