Break Outta Here- Chp 12

Kyran threw himself at the Vaverion bolted door, the only impact being the slightest movement and rupture in the hinges. Kyran backed up and hissed. If Lyn were here, she'd know what to do, he thought with a sigh, there'd probably be something in one of her books. Kyran desperately kicked the door. He needed to get back to his sister.

A hand grabbed his shoulder, stopping him from bashing the door again. "Kyran, it's all right." Gabriel said in a hushed tone. "We'll find another way."

Kyran wanted to shrug away the hand, because after all, he had been rude, but Kyran couldn't seem to. "Let's hurry it up, then."

Out of the corner of his eye, Kyran saw Gabriel nod slowly as he pulled his hand away. Gabriel turned to Alec, "Got any ideas?"

Alec seemed not to hear, he looked to lost in thought. He was staring at the ground, his eyes no doubt glazing over.

Gabriel prodded Alec's shoulder. "Hello? Alec? Anyone in there?"

Alec snapped out of his daze and shook his head. "Sorry. But I think I have an idea." he strutted towards the Vaverion door.

"Oh, care to share?" Gabriel crossed his arms over his chest.

Alec rolled his eyes, but his mouth was set in a sly grin. "We can't slam the door down," Kyran looked down at this. "But what if we take a different approach, like with the bars? What if we blew it bent? Wouldn't the bolts and locks bend? Then we might be able to bring it down."

"You couldn't have told me that earlier?" Kyran said gruffly, rubbing his shoulder, where it had slammed into the gods-damned door. Alec shrugged, Kyran scowled and Gabriel laughed quietly.

"Then, if you're right, how do we blow the stupid thing down?" Kyran asked them. Both boys looked at each other and grinned wildly, as if sharing thoughts. Kyran cringed as he pushed himself into- Alec's head, remembering Gabriel's stern warning. Stay out of my head!

In Alec's mind, there was only one word clear as day. That word sent a tingle down his spine.

"Oh, please no." Kyran shook his head. "Oh no."

"Oh, yes." Gabriel's sly grin hadn't receded, neither had Alec's.

Alec and Gabriel moved a wing-span away from each other. "You might wanna get clear of us. This could get... messy." Alec said.

Kyran's stare hardened, him being suddenly eager to show off some of his own talents before what was to come. After moving farther as was possible in that small space, Kyran brought his leg up, then slammed it down as hard as his vampire strength allowed. This buried his foot into the ground, destroying the concrete. He did the same with his other foot, it came down with a crunch. Alec and Gabriel jumped at the sight and sound.

"There." Kyran returned their sly grins. "That should keep me rooted to the ground, safely." he added after stealing a glance at Gabriel's face.

Alec bared his feet on the ground, as did Gabriel, standing strongly facing the Vaverion door.

"Ready?" Alec asked of Gabriel, not looking at him. His gaze still hard on his task.

Kyran saw Gabriel give one small jerk of his head, before it started.

First, there was ringing in his ears, unstoppable, merciless ringing. Then he saw the most breathtaking sight he'd seen in a long while. Pairs of feathered wings burst forth from both boy's backs, as big and as long as two quarter staphs suck together. Gabriel's were a deep, mysterious indigo, whereas Alec's were pure white, tipped with shimmering gold. Kyran marveled at the beautiful display; they looked like actual Angels, not just the mere protectors of Heaven. Like the light and dark, the rough blue and the calm white of their wings. Kyran felt a pang of worry and guilt, not knowing what would happen to Gabriel's stunning angelic wings if he turned.

Gabriel and Alec exchanged righteous glances -to which Kyran rolled his eyes- and then they rose slightly off the ground, flapping their wings in soft beats.

It took about twenty seconds for the steady beating of their wings to reach crushing force. The wind swirled violently around the small room, rattling the bars and shoving the executioners axe around on the floor. Gabriel and Alec aimed themselves at the door, like they were forcing the wind into it. Kyran shielded his eyes from the wind with his hands, his hair thrashing from side to side. He took note of Gabriel's hair, which was brushing his face as if in a much gentler breeze. Kyran made sure to keep his stance ready, enabling him to throw himself at the door when the time came. Kyran was beginning to see the door actually bend outwards, and heard the bolts and locks creaking on the other side of the door. But even his superior ears were straining against the horrible wind.

Gabriel had his eyes on Kyran, as his and Alec's wings ushered the wind around and forced it at the door. It pummeled into the door like a blast from a laser, and he could hear the door noticeably bending. He felt his wings brush against his legs, as they ruthlessly shot the air at their obstacle. Kyran was covering his face with his arms, obviously waiting to take one last run at the door. Gabriel tore his eyes away from the vampire with the midnight hair, and tried as hard as he could to refocus his unsteady gaze to the door. He failed. Gabriel had been so angry, and as usual, he didn't know why. He just saw red, and that was the end of it. But the red-hot anger came on so quickly and so randomly that it scared even Gabriel. Kyran hadn't really been doing much to warrant an outburst from him. But another thing Gabriel knew about himself was that he never really apologized. Problems like this one, at least for him, just dissolved slowly and gradually, an apology never asked for or received.   

A loud crack snapped Gabriel out of his daze.

"We did it!" Gabe heard Alec yell. "Now, Kyran!"

Gabriel's wings gave out and he landed, watching as Kyran threw himself at the door one last time. It amazed him how much elegance that was demonstrated, even in hoisting his feet out of the ground and hurtling at the door.

It came down after a try or two.

The door fell dramatically sideways, landing like a bridge to their exit. Alec landed behind Gabriel, obviously ecstatic. "We did it!" he repeated.

Kyran backed away from the downed door, peering into their opening. Outside was a large, seemingly never-ending hallway, lined with dying blue flame torches. With his vampiric senses, he could tell that they were meters below ground. And danger. The metallic smell of danger. He concentrated hard, willing his eyes to see further.

"Guys." Kyran stammered. Gabriel and Alec cocked their heads to him. "There are two doors down the very end of the hall, on either side. About five meters away."

Alec paused for a moment. "Okay. What do we do?"

"What do you mean, 'what do we do?' ?" Gabriel stood and marched to the opening. "We can't stay here! We go. We look."

Alec and Gabriel's wings were still out, and both were ruffling in thought.

Gabriel noticed Kyran staring, and smirked fiendishly. "You like them?"

Kyran glared. "How do they retract?" he demanded. He was still mad at Gabriel.

Something churned in Gabriel's eyes, but he pushed out an answer anyway. "You'll see."

Looking at each other, Alec and Gabriel exchanged a grin. In an instance, both boys wings flicked upwards, and then, in a rain of glittering sparks, the beautiful feathered wing vanished.

Some of the sparks floated down into Gabriel's hair, and Kyran felt his cheeks go red. Or at least he would have, if he weren't a vampire. Gabriel looked as if he'd been sprinkled with stardust.

Alec grinned at Kyran, looking from him to Gabriel. "You liked that?"

"Shut the hell up." Kyran muttered, turning away from Gabriel and stupid Alec's leering grin and stepping cautiously through the rectangular opening of their exit.