Chapter Three: Tsukumogami Manor

The next three days went by like a blur. The intense Onmyoji training program I had been thrust headfirst into was more like a crash course in exorcism. I was thrown into an arcane and fantastical world full of spells, magic, and occultism. I had once read a story about a girl who was taken in by a sorcerer as his apprentice and taught the ways of magic. I felt like I had replaced her role. I was pushed in so fast, I barely even had any time to think about things like hanging out with my friends or planning what I'd do for summer vacation.

By the time the training program ended, my brain was like a rock. It felt as if I had ten years worth of exorcist experience crammed into my brain in a span of barely half a week. I still didn't feel ready.

But it was all numbed by the constant nagging reminder that every breath I took was on borrowed time. I had to cope with being half-blind, but that was the least of my worries. It wasn't fair. 15-year olds weren't supposed to be worrying about death. Every time those thoughts prodded my mind, I remembered why I did this. I didn't do it for fun, or for a job, and definitely not for my father. I did it for me. So I could one day hunt down Asura and make him pay for cursing me and stealing my mother away from me.

Soon enough, the fateful day arrived. My first mission as an Onmyoji in training. My father, the other exorcists, and I gathered at the Round Table Conference at Seimei Shrine. I picked at the skirt of my apprentice uniform. I couldn't stop fidgeting. The diamonds on my bracelet clinked as my hands shook. I had been outfitted with a white eyepatch to conceal my cursed eye from the rest of the populace, be they human or Ayakashi. Walking around with Asura's cursed eye in plain sight could attract the wrong kind of attention.

"For being completely new to exorcism, you have fared quite well in your training," my father remarked. "Thus, we have decided that you are now capable enough to handle your first mission as a new Onmyoji. We spent a long time deciding what would suit you the best for your first time, and we have come to a decision. Last night, we received a report that a young Kitsune girl has gone missing in Tsukumogami Manor. The Kitsune clan is understandably concerned about this, so Tamamo no Mae has ordered us to rescue the child."

"Now, this may be a low-level mission, but Tsukumogami Manor is a very dangerous place. It's an ever-changing maze populated by mischevious spirits and Tsukumogami. When a household object reaches the age of 100 years old, it becomes imbued with magic and gains a life of its own as an Ayakashi. One Tsukumogami is dangerous on its own, but this manor is filled with hundreds of them, of all different types. As you can tell, this is why we chose such an urgent mission for you, Minami."

I sighed. I was hoping for something a bit less intense. After all, I still didn't fully have the hang of my Moon Rabbit powers. But I knew it was pointless to argue. My father was practically emotionless. "So, is there anything else I need to know before I run off into this creepy-ass mansion?" I asked. Seimei cleared his throat. "Well, since you're still in training, you are required to be accompanied by a professional Onmyoji on missions. For that task, I have chosen Luca von Wolfgang and fellow Onmyoji in training, Celestia Crandoll."

A chill shot down my back. I took a glance toward the tall, fanged Inugami. "L-Luca? But why him? I can't go with him, he might eat me!"

"Don't be ridiculous," Celestia Crandoll interjected. "Despite his brutish appearance, Inugami are ferociously loyal to their households. Luca has been the Touma family's Inugami for generations, and he has been passed down from one Lord to the next. In that way, Luca is a kind of familiar. Lord Seimei is Luca's current master, and through your bloodline, you are his master as well. He will do anything to protect you." I shot a glare to Luca. "Is that true?" The Inugami nodded. "Of course. If it is your word, then it will be done. Time is of the essence, Minami. Let us go."