Ch. 5: Sex & The Psychos

Today Carol felt alive. The twins were a month and a half into their senior year and without reason Carol felt less dead when she woke up today. She made conversation during breakfast for the first time in months and she even hummed along to the radio on the way to school. Barb noticed Carol's odd change in behavior and said before she got out of the car,"You buggin' Carol? Why are you acting like you've got something to live for?"

"What, I can't hum to the radio now?" Carol said as Barb gathered her books and opened the car door. Barb gave her a concerned look and slammed the door shut before walking over to a large group of people who were standing in a circle and passing around a cigarette. Carol watched enviously as Barb took a spot in the social mix.

About half way through the day Carol found herself in her least favorite class; math. The problem wasn't that she didn't understand it, she just didn't enjoy it. In history at least there was plenty of death, which intrigued her. In science she at least got to dissect animals, and in English she got to sit next to Barb who would always make fun of the teacher under her breath. But now, she was in math and she couldn't help but drift away into her art. She drew a creek surrounded by dead trees, one of which held a rope which held a body which was of course dead. And as she was shading the forest she heard an unfamiliar voice from behind her.

"Do you have an extra pencil?" it whispered. "Mine broke and I don't have a sharpener." Carol turned to see a girl, smiling with her hands in her lap and her eyes on Carol's, expecting a reply.

"Sure," Carol said "Sure." She bent over to her left and reached into her bag for a pencil. When she finally found one, she perked back up in her seat and handed it to the girl.

"Nice drawing," the girl said, laughing a little under breath.

"Thanks," Carol replied and turned back around to face the front of the classroom. Then, about five seconds later she turned to the girl again and said,"I didn't get your name."

"Jenna" she whispered and smiled.

"Jenna," Carol repeated and turned back again. She's perfect, Carol thought. She's beautiful, she's kind, and she's probably funny too. She's the perfect victim. Not for murder, though. Carol was mad but not quite mad enough to want to actually kill anyone; or so she thought. No, Carol wanted something else from Jenna. She wanted to seduce her.

Since Carol and Barb were fourteen, Barb had always gotten much more attention from boys. They chased her and asked her out and occasionally, if they were lucky, Barbara would let them kiss her. But the only time a boy was ever interested in Carol was her sophomore year. He had a nice smile, but he was messy and unkempt and Carol despised that about him. She didn't like the way he called her pretty and she didn't enjoy being followed. So one day after school when he was walking her to the bus, she told him she never wanted to see his horrific face again. And with zero trace of guilt, she got onto the big yellow bus and left him standing there with tears in his eyes.

But now, Carol thought, there was a girl. And she wanted to seduce her for two reasons; to piss off her parents and to experience sexual pleasure. Carol had of course heard of people like that. People who had affairs with members of the same sex. And she didn't consider herself to be one of them, but she did feel strangely drawn to Jenna in a way she had never been drawn to a boy. So when the bell rang and everyone got up to leave the class, Carol turned her.

"I'll take that pencil back now," she said harshly.

"Oh! Yea, of course. Here," Jenna responded, looking slightly shocked at Carol's hard tone of voice.

"I'm joking. You can keep it," Carol said and laughed. She knew how to be charismatic when she wanted to. Jenna put the pencil in her bag and thanked Carol.

"Would you want to go to the game tomorrow night? With me, I mean," Jenna said while smiling and looking at her feet.

"I'd love to," Carol said with confidence and false compassion. She was proud of herself for playing her part so well. "I'll pick you up at 6. What's your address?"

And with that, Carol had secured her first date. She was already mentally preparing for whatever obstacles were to come her way.

Thank you so much to everyone who has been reading. Let me know what you think of the story so far and what you think of Carol's newest endeavor as well! :) Thank you.