Chapter 3

Kat was eighteen years old, but she acted like a middle schooler when it came to boys.

I wasn't looking for a relationship right now. Especially not with these boys. I was leaving to Los Angeles in two weeks and a relationship would just slow me down. Of course, they were all attractive and the way they were with kids made my heart melt, but I couldn't do long distance.

The sun was setting as I climbed the hill with my kids. "I'm tired. Can you carry me, Miss Naomi?" Lily reached her arms toward me.

"Come on, we're almost there. How are you going to survive two weeks of walking if you can't even make it to the bonfire?' I asked her.

"Pleeeease! I won't be able to walk anywhere if my legs are worn out!" she pouted. "Mr. Luke would carry me." she said quietly.

I sighed. "Fine. Come here."

I put her on my back and we continued to walk to the big bonfire. They played music from big speakers they set up in the field by the fire pit.

The reflection of the moon rippled in the lake across from the fire, opposite of the field where activities happened during the day.

"Team Naomi! That's the last team!" the head of the camp yelled through a megaphone. She was in her early forties and her short blonde hair was pulled into a pony tail.

Large logs cut in half surrounded the pit and skewers stood upright against a table full of bags of marshmallows. Memories from camp flooded back to when Luke's mallow caught on fire and he flung it backward, resulting in burning Michael's eyebrow off. Those were the days.

"Don't burn Mikey's eyebrow off this time, Luke!" Kat shouted as Luke grabbed one of the bags from the table.

"Shut up, Marshal!" he yelled back at her. Emma gasped from Ashton's team. "Mr. Ashton, he said a bad word." she whispered, quite loudly.

"Don't say bad words, Hemmings!" Ashton reminded Luke.

"Oh, sorry." he apologized.

Calum sat on one of the logs, swinging his guitar around and resting it on his knee. He started to pick the tune of 'Rolling in the Deep'

"There's a fire, burning in the pit.." Calum started to sing, earning giggles from the kids. "About to burn Mike's eyebrow off and make him lose his...stuff"

I laughed at that one. Of course the joke flew over the kids heads, but they laughed anyway.

"Who wants to sing?" Cal asked the kids. Lily's hand shot up and she sat next to him.

"What's your name?" he asked her. "Lily." she blushed.

"Lily, what would you like to sing?"

She thought for a moment then whispered in his ear. "The young lady has requested 'This Little Light of Mine'" he announced. He started to play it and Lily kicked her legs in front of her. "This little light of mine...I'm gonna let it shine.." she sang shyly, Calum smiled down at her, nodding. She stopped and shook her head. "That's it! Keep going. You sound beautiful!" he told her.

She smiled and we joined with her. I watched the way Calum looked at her, making sure she was having fun. "Give it up for Miss Lily!" he clapped.

Lily ran back to me and buried her head in my side. "I sang out loud." she whispered to me. "I heard. Good job, Lily." I told her.

The rest of the evening went smoothly, until the younger ones started to fall asleep.

I carried a sleeping Cory and I almost woke up Lily since I couldn't carry both of them. "Here, I've got her." Luke came up behind me and picked up Lily.