Chapter 6

~Naomi~

To get to the counselors lounge, you had to go through the cafeteria.

I took a deep breath before opening the door and stepping inside. The wall was lined with old couches and a table set up with cookies and coffee.

Michael and Calum sat talking about random stuff so I sat on one of the other couches until Kat got here.

The kids were enjoying free time at the pool or in the snack shop. Some of the kids were starting a soccer game in the field after we left our out door activities.

Of course, Ashton's team had been victorious today in tug-of-war, despite Luke having all boys except one.

The poor girl, Lydia, I think. She slept in Kat's cabin at night since she was the only girl on her group. Luke always treated her like the queen of the team during the day.

"She can walk, you know." I had told him. She rode on his shoulders almost everywhere they went.

Interrupting my thoughts, Ashton sat next to me. "Daydreaming, are we?"

I turned to him. "Oh. Yeah, I suppose."

Kat entered the room. "Oh my god, I'm sore as hell." she laid down on the floor.

"Do you know how fucking hard it is not to swear in front of these little kids?" Michael admits, laughing.

"I've learned to control it. I have younger siblings back at home, so.." Ashton says.

Luke comes in and our eyes meet before I look away. I can't help but smile. I bite my lip to hide it, but Ashton catches me and glances at Luke.

"So when do we start the meeting?" Calum asks.

"There's not really a meeting, it's just time for the counselors to hang out for a while." Kat explains.

"And swear freely." Michael adds.

"We do need two volunteer lifeguards for the second half of free time." Ashton looks at each of us.

"I'll do it." I speak up.

"I guess I will, too." Luke agrees.

"Great! Well there's that. Go back to chatting." Ashton claps his hands together. He was considered the unspoken head counselor, since he had seniority over the younger counselors.

"We are still on for three in the pavilion, right?" Ashton nudges me.

Luke's head darts around. "Oh actually, Luke asked me to hang out. Can we maybe talk some other time? I'm sorry, Ash." I tell him.

Ashton's smile falls for a second. "Oh yeah, that's fine. Some other time would be.. would be okay." he smiles again.

Kat, hearing this whole conversation, looks up at me. Shit.

She had just talked about getting closer with Luke this morning and I was about to hang out with him. It was nothing serious, of course. Just as friends, but she didn't know that.

I prayed that I wasn't causing drama at a kids summer camp.

______________________

"I'll meet you in the pavilion, Naomi." Luke says as we're leaving; him and Ashton staying behind to clean up.

I walk with Kat, but she's staying silent. "Oh damn it, I left my sunglasses. Wait for me." I run back to the counselors lounge and hear Luke and Ashton talking.

"I swear, mate, if you hurt her at all.. If she's just another one of your flings, then stop it before it gets too far. I saw the way you were looking at Kat this morning and now you're asking Naomi out? Dude, you can't do that."