C H A P T E R O N E

"Why are you being so secretive all of a sudden?" I asked Megan as I sat on my bed with an inquisitive look on my face.

Let me elaborate. Currently, my mother's married to a man who already had three children. My mother has three children of her own. Now, putting two and two together, we have a massive family. Eight of us live in the house which resulted in me having to share my bedroom with my younger step-sister and older step-sister.

Megan Pine, 19, laying with a pillow over her face refusing to tell me who she's crushing on.

Chloe Pine, 17, facing the wall and consistently hating me.

"Why do you want to know who I like?" She questioned back. The answer to that was very simple. I'm a curious person. Plus, we used to share every secret with each other and now, barely anything.

"It's not like it's a big deal." I tried again, I could see a small smile forming on her face. We had been arguing about this for a good half an hour now and she didn't seem like she was going to break. However, I have been her step-sister for a little over 1 year, I can tell I'm getting close.

"You know who it is."

Well, this makes my job easier. I already had the idea that it was my brother's best friend, Ryder. Whenever Theo, my brother, came home late after a night out drinking, she would be waiting for his return. Now I'm thinking that she was waiting for Ryder's return, considering how he would always come back to our house and crash here.

"Does it begin with a 'R'?" I asked, her face went ten shades redder. "Oh my God, it's Ryder, isn't it!" As soon as the words left my mouth, she shoved the pillow further into her face.

"Is it that obvious?" She asked, I smiled. It was a little obvious but I wasn't going to embarrass her like that.

"Of course not. Call it, sisterly instinct."

After finally knowing the truth, I laid down and tried to sleep.

If only I knew that was one of the last times we would be civil with each other.