17

17 | we belong together

song: end of the road by boyz II men
highly recommended

Baileys POV

"but.."

"i dont think i can do this." i say, fiddling with my fingers.

"do this?" he repeats in confusion as he steps closer. I shut my eyes for a second, taking a big breath in.

"we cant be together ethan." the words hurt me to say, sending a dagger to cut right through my heart. I was making a big mistake by saying what i did, but i knew why i had to do it.

"w-what do you mean?" his voice cracks, taking a step back.

"i just-" i mumble, soon being cut off by Ethan.

"bails, just- wait- please just-" he loses his words, shutting his eyes in stress. He runs a hand through his hair as he bites onto his bottom lip.

"come on." he begs; on the verge of breaking.

"i explained everything! i told you everything!" he fights back, breathing heavily.

"i know-"

"do you not believe me?!" he cuts me off once again, speaking quickly.

"of course i do!" I say quickly, shutting my eyes.

He seems taken back from my words as he tries to gather himself. His eyebrows soon furrow together as his shoulders drop.

"well then why? why can't we do this?"

"because." i purse my lips together.

"thats a shit reason-"

"because while i still love you, i hate myself for letting this all happen!"

Ethans POV

"because while i still love you, i hate myself for letting this all happen!"

Those were her words.

Her exact words.

I felt my heart lifting a little as i heard the words i was dying to hear from her lips; directed at me.

"y-you love-"

"of course i do ethan, you aren't even that dumb to not realise it." she scoffs lightly at the end.

"then why-"

"because, i hate myself for this all. I caused this all. You were right, this was all my fault." she cuts me off. Hearing those words made me feel as if i just brought more onto her.

"hey hey hey, i did not say that. Don't go hating yourself-"

"i just cant jump right back into this."

"i love you, so damn much ethan."

My heart begins to beat faster at her words, i wish she could just say them over and over. Please.

"but i need time."

"i know its the dumbest thing ever, but i need it. i need time to just re process everything in my head. i need time to forgive myself."

"after all, i feel fucking terrible." a tear falls down onto her cheek making my chest hurt and my heart sting.

"no no no.. precious.." i go right up to her, cupping her cheeks as the pad of my thumb wipes her tears. Her eyes don't dare looking into mine, making me lift her chin a little higher.