47 [Treat You Better]

description: based on the song 'treat you better' by shawn mendes.
author's note: this imagine may be triggering to some readers; there's mentions of abuse. if things like that upset you, please don't read.
p.s.: I want to thank every single one of you who have read this: whether you are new or have been here since the beginning, THANK YOU. I didn't think I'd hit one thousand reads on this, let alone ten thousand so thank you! Also, i am SO proud of JJ and Deji for their fights, they tried their absolute best and although Deji lost and JJ's ended up as a draw, they're both winners in my heart ♡

• • •

I laid on a heap on the floor, blood pouring from my head. Yet again, my boyfriend Mason had beaten me until I was black and blue because I didn't cook his dinner right. He smashed his plate on the floor and then started hitting me after I had a go at him for it. Mason pushed me, causing me to hit my head on the corner of the counter and continued to punch me until he got bored and left - probably to get drunk.

I decided to call up my best friend after Mason left because there was no way I could clean up this mess on my own. I crawled over to where my phone was sat on the kitchen counter and dialled my best friends number.

After two rings he picked up, clearly worried. "Y/N? It's almost eleven pm, why are you calling me?"

"Lewis, I need you-" I stuttered, spitting out some blood from my mouth.

"Y/N, what's happened?" He asked.

"Come over, please. I need your help."

"I'll be over in five," he hung up the phone and I laid there, unable to move.

I made my way, well crawled, to the front door to open it when Lewis arrived. While I waited, I checked what I looked like in my front facing camera on my phone.

I gasped, looking at my busted lip, black eye and an open wound on my forehead. I'm surprised I didn't go unconscious. The doorbell rang and the letterbox opened.

"Y/N, it's me!" Lewis called. I reached up and opened the door, knowing if I got up I would fall back down. Lewis looked at me and sighed. "Mason, again?"

I nodded.

"You need to go to the hospital," Lewis told me. "The wound on your head is way too deep, you're losing a lot of blood."

He ran off into the flat. "Lewis, where are you going?"

Shortly after he came back with a damp towel. "Hold that on your head. I'm taking you to hospital."

Before I could protest, I blacked out.

• • •

I woke up to the sound of slow beeping. Where was I? I tried to move but couldn't. Turning my head to the right of me, I saw Lewis there fast asleep. I realised I was in the hospital, hooked up to a machine.

My phone laid on the side, so I unlocked it and was met by fifty text messages and twenty missed calls all from Mason.

Where are you?

You better answer me!

When I find you, you're going to get more than a beating Y/N.

Answer your fucking phone!

The door opened, so I put my phone on the side. In walked two female police officers. "Hi, Miss Y/N Y/L/N. Can we ask you a couple of questions about what happened?" One of them asked.

By this time, Lewis had woken up, looking very uncomfortable probably from sleeping on the hospital chair. "Are you okay?

"I'm fine, Lewis," I told him, before turning to the officers. "And yes, you can ask me some questions."

• • •

After the officers asked questions, they left, leaving me and Lewis alone. "I hope you know that you're not going back to Mason's place."

"Where am I going to stay then?" I asked him, leaning back on the pillows and looking up.

"You can stay with me if you want?" He offered.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, it'll be fun. Just like the sleepovers we used to have when we were little," he laughed, reminiscing.

"Yeah okay, but look," I showed Lewis the texts that Mason sent me.

"Did you show the officers?" He asked, reading through all the texts.

I nodded. "I showed them when you went to get a drink."

The doctor walked in and also asked a few questions to check if I was okay and well enough to go home. "I think you're well enough to go home today, but stay on bed rest for a couple of weeks. If this young man hadn't of brought you in, you probably wouldn't have made it. You lost a lot of blood."

"Okay thank you," I told him.

The doctor walked out and Lewis handed me a bag. "Your clothes were ruined, so I stopped by your house to get some clothes. Mason wasn't in luckily."

"How long have I been out for?" I asked Lewis.

"A couple of days. You were also very sleep deprived. But I'm gonna treat you better than he ever did." As he said that, Treat You Better by Shawn Mendes came on the hospital radio and I looked at him, both of us erupting into laughter. "See, even Shawn Mendes knows."