To Shao Kahn's Palace

"Good," Himavat chirped. "Now that that's settled, I'm off."

"Where will you go?" Kuai Liang asked him. 

Now that he knew the old man's true identity, he didn't want him to leave. There was so much to be learned from the Elder God, not just about Cryomancy, but himself in general. Plus, after all the loss he'd suffered over the last few days, it felt good to have gained something for once. Now he felt like he was losing just one more thing. He inwardly frowned at all the emotions swirling inside of him. Years of working at suppressing his feelings had come undone in one short week.

Himavat seemed to understand. "Around," he answered cryptically. "But don't think you're getting rid of me so easily." He winked at him. "Now, play nicely with your new friends," he said as he patted his descendant on the cheek.

The Cryomancer glanced at the others. "They're not my-" He was interrupted by the sound of water crashing over rocks. He looked back at the Elder God only to see that he'd vanished. He sighed and shook his head, annoyed.

"Welcome, Kuai Liang," Raiden greeted.

He sighed then folded his hands and bowed his head respectfully. "Thank you," he replied as he glanced around at his surroundings, which had changed from earlier. Everyone was now gathered on the same war-torn beach he and Tomas first materialized on.

"You have already met Johnny Cage and Kung Lao," the god stated as he pointed to the two fighters. Then he pointed to the two soldiers, the blond woman and a monstrous black man who stood well over six feet tall. "That is Sonya Blade and Jackson Briggs."

"Jax for short," the man added, lighting up a cigar and taking a deep drag. Kuai Liang nodded his understanding.

"This is Nightwolf," Raiden continued, "and this is Liu Kang."

Kuai Liang looked at the Shaolin monk. This was the warrior Bi-han had been sent to kill during his Rite of Ascension. He was much skinnier than Kung Lao, but his body still rippled with muscles. The monk folded his hands and bowed respectfully. "You defeated Cyrax and Sektor," the Cryomancer said, staring at him coldly. "But you granted them mercy."

"I did," Liu Kang answered. His English was good, but there was the slightest hint of a Chinese accent in his voice, the same as Kung Lao's.

"You should've finished them," he bitterly said. Liu cocked his head at him in puzzlement, but Kuai Liang offered no further explanation. The explosion Cyrax caused, the one that nearly killed Tomas, blazed through his mind. Of course, Cyrax was just a rabid dog. Sektor was the one holding the leash. If this Liu Kang had killed them both when he had the chance, Tomas would still be with him now. Perhaps even Bi-han would still be alive. Rage surged through him, but he contained it and said nothing more. He knew the Shaolin monks did not kill unless they absolutely had to, and it was useless arguing with them about it.

Kuai Liang now looked around at his new comrades. The harsh expression on Sonya's face, which was originally sour like she'd just bitten into a lemon, had relaxed. Her hard blue eyes had softened. She was looking at him with...sympathy? Pity? He couldn't be sure, but it annoyed him slightly. He didn't want anyone feeling sorry for him. He quickly looked away from her.

"Now that everyone is here, we should return to the Coliseum," Raiden said. He began walking across the narrow land bridge over the bay towards the burning pagoda with his fighters in tow. 

Kuai Liang took the rear, partly to guard it, partly to avoid socializing with these people. He did not trust them. After everything that had happened, he wasn't honestly certain that others could be trusted, even though the fool in him wanted to believe they could. Deep down, in a place unbeknownst to him, he hoped he could forge new friendships in Tomas' absence, and he hoped the fearful pounding in his heart would quiet to a steadier pace. But for now, he refused to get ahead of himself. It was more than enough that he had agreed to fight alongside them.