Chapter 20

Slight warning ⚠️ Self harm mentioned and negative thoughts

Eliza took a breath and knocked. She heard shuffling around in the apartment and the door opened to Hercules.
"Oh- hey Eliza!" He said surprised to see her.
"Hey Herc." Hercules stepped to the side to let her in.
"Liza!" Maria exclaimed.
"Maria!" The two girls hugged each other. It was a nice reunion.
"Want any water? Food?" Herc offered.
"I'm good, but thanks." Herc walked into the kitchen and the two girls sat down on the couch.
"So how've you been?" Maria asked Eliza.
"Okay, could be better. College is kickin' my butt right now but it doesn't know I have a black belt in karate" Eliza answered.
"College better watch out."
"Mhm."
"So how're you? The baby- do you know if it's a boy or a girl yet?" Eliza asked excitedly.
"I'm pretty good. And I don't know yet- I want it to be a surprise."
"Have you thought about names yet?"
"If its a boy I'm thinking Peter and if it's a girl I'm thinking of Susan."
"Both are pretty nice names."
"Well it sounds like you have a suggestion."
"And I do. How about Elijah for a boy and Eliza for a girl?"
"Psh, it's just doesn't fit."
The two talked for what seemed like hours and it was the first time Eliza was truly happy since, you know.

A knock occurred at the door.
"I got it" Herc said, walking out of the kitchen with a bag of chips.
"So, you and Herc huh?" Eliza teased. Maria blushed.
"I don't know what you're implying Schuyler."
"Mhm, sure." The two heard Herc open the door, then footsteps.
"Hey man you can't just come into my house whenever" Herc complained.
"I'm sorry but I left my laptop over here...somehow."
Eliza froze. It was Alexander's voice.
"You never use it so why do you need it?"
"Washington wants to start a new thing or something- I don't know anymore." Alex walked right past the two without noticing them and into another room. Maria was still too.
"Here it is!" Alex walked back into the room and froze. Is that really Eliza? Was he dreaming? No, he can't be dreaming if he doesn't sleep. He stood there staring at Eliza in disbelief.
Eliza looked down. She couldn't look at him. He looked horrible compared to the last time she saw him. He had giant bags under his eyes as if he hadn't slept in forever. His hair was in a messy bun and his clothes were slightly disheveled. He wore glasses that she didn't even know existed. But before she turned her gaze away she noticed something, something that really told her that he was taking this breakup badly. The sleeves of his long-sleeved shirt was rolled up, revealing cut marks on his wrists. And not all of them were old either.
Alex noticed and rolled down his sleeves. He wanted to say something. Anything. He wanted to apologize again. But he knew not to say anything.
He knew his staring was odd and uncomfortable but he couldn't take his eyes off of her. She looked beautiful to him- like a part of heaven in this hell he's been living in for the past few months.
"I'll be back Maria" Eliza finally said. She stood up and left the room, going to the bathroom.
"Don't you have somewhere to be Alex?" Maria asked a little harsh. Alex looked at his laptop.
"Her voice sounds like an angel" he said, not even paying attention to what Maria said.
"Alex?" Maria said softly, trying to get his attention. He looked like a lovesick puppy. She felt bad for him. Alex looked back up.
"Yeah, um, sorry. I needed to ask you a couple of questions before I go."
"Can it wait till later?" Maria asked.
"No- this is due tomorrow."
"You're slacking on your work Alex."
"I know, I know." Alex asked her a couple of questions about living conditions before the Fence was broken down and if they improved at all and etcetera etcetera.
"Thanks Maria."
Maria nodded in response and Alex left awkwardly.

Eliza emerged from the bathroom cautiously.
"He's gone, right?" She asked shyly. Maria nodded. Eliza sat back on the couch and sighed.
"Sorry about that" Maria apologized.
"No it's fine- it wasn't your fault he forgot his laptop over here or whatever."
"You alright Eliza?" Maria asked. Eliza avoided eye contact.
"He looked pretty bad" she said quietly.
"Yeah."
They sat there in silence, watching whatever nonsense was on TV. But the only thing that went through Eliza's mind was one sentence.
He said my voice sounded like an angel?

As soon as he was outside he put his back against the wall and clenched the laptop to his chest. How could she see me like this- like a complete mess? Good job Alex, you ruined their time together and ran Eliza out of the room- just go home already Alex you creep.
Alex tried to shake the negative thoughts away, but it was no use anymore. He walked back home and began working, chewing on his pencil eraser and scratching at his wrists.