I'll always protect you

Notes:

I'm sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes, English is not my first languages. Please let me know if you see any so I can correct them. It's been a while since I've written fanfiction and this is the first time I've written a worst witch fanfic.

------

I am there. Waiting, watching, keeping to the shadows.

But when you need me I'll step out of the shadows

And protect what's mine

- unknown

It was a Friday night when Hecate Hardbroom walked towards her chamber after a very long detention with Mildred Hubble. Just last minute she had prevented the potion from exploding for the second time today. She knew that she needed to have patience with Mildred. Ada had told her many times when she was complaining about the girl in the headmistress office. But she just couldn't understand how that girl managed to brew the same potion wrong both times. If she hadn't been paying such close attention to Mildred she would've missed that Mildred had put Lilium Martagon in her potion instead of Lapageria Rosea. After telling the girl again that she had done it wrong, she had sent her off with the instruction to write an essay on the difference between the two.

She had been in such deep thoughts that she didn't notice that something was wrong with the wards she had set up around her room to keep students out. She also didn't notice the hand that was stroking her cat, who was laying on the armrest of the chair she had in her room which faced the fire. The first thing she noticed was the fire. She had put it out this morning but now it was burning, the heat of it was warming her room.

She turned around and faced the chair. The hand stroking Morgana, who was known for not liking anybody besides Hecate, stopped. "I'm sorry I broke into your room" the voice was soft but so familiar. "I re-set the wards don't worry".

"You should be at Miss Amulet's," Hecate said shocked. Had she flown here, in this weather? It had been raining for two days straight now and today was definitely worse than yesterday.

"I know" she whispered and stood to face Hecate. Her black hair wasn't in her usual Dutch braid but hanging loose around her face. Her eyes were red and puffy, and she was very pale. "Hillary is something wrong" She was almost afraid to hear the answer. Of course, something was wrong. Something had to be very wrong for her niece to skip school and fly all the way over here. "Did something happen with Joy?" she asked as she still hadn't gotten an answer from the girl. "No, Joy is fine. More than fine really, she is doing so well at school" Hillary spoke with so much pride over her little sister.

"I know it was stupid to come over, but I didn't know who else to go to" a tear escaped. Hecate crossed the room and placed a hand on the girl's arm. "What is it Hilly". That did it. The girl broke down crying in Hecate's arms. "I'm sorry" she gasped, "but they want to send me away".

Hecate didn't understand. Her younger sister Constance had always been so proud of her daughters. Always boasting about the competitions they had won and all the spells they knew and the complicated potions they could make. "Why would they send you away darling"

Hillary buried her head in the curve of Hecate's neck. "they want to..... they don't want me... I" she started but didn't know how to tell her aunt. "They are sending me to miss Broomhead" she blurred out. Hecate stiffened.

Deep breathes Hecate she reminded herself, she can't hurt you anymore. She took a deep breath before another dark thought crept into her mind. No, she can't hurt you anymore, but she can hurt Hilly. Her arms tightened around the girl. "Tell me everything, start at the beginning" she stirred the girl towards the couch and sat down next to her.