Chapter 18 - Jealousy

CALEB

How could I have been so stupid? I've never been the one who wanted more. I've never been the one to act like a drooling idiot, yet Aria had made me into one. She had me by the balls. She was the one with all the power.

Of course, she wouldn't want anything more than for me to just fuck her, why would she? I'm not exactly a boyfriend material. This is all I'm good for.

She had her fun with me and now she could be with a guy who would be right for her. I knew she'd probably be better off with someone else - yet the thought of her with another man was more than I could handle.

I was disgusted by the words I had said to her. The words just kept nagging at me over and over again. She had hurt me and I wanted to hurt her back.

It didn't mean anything. Was what we both had said, but that was a lie. At least for me, it was.

If it didn't mean anything to her, then why did her eyes turn glassy when I said the same words to her? Why did she draw in a sharp breath like I had slapped her right across her face?

I wished I could take the words back, but this was what I always did. I was toxic. When someone hurt me, I hurt them back even worse.

I didn't want her to have so much power over me. Deep down I knew I had started to fall for her hard and fast. The thought scared me the living shit out of me.

I didn't tell her not to see Matthew for his sake. It wasn't to keep her from making a fool out of him. I told her not to see Matthew for selfish reasons. I was jealous.

Don't get me wrong - Matthew was definitely no angel himself, but even he would make a better boyfriend to her than I would.

They were around the same age and he was not her god damn professor. He brought her home, which meant he really liked her.

I saw the way he looked at her. She may have left last night with me, but there was something going on between them. She seemed to feel comfortable around him and he made her laugh.

I would just have to shove these crazy thoughts of us together aside and focus on anything else. I'm sure a week or two from now I will be laughing over this situation.

"Fuck," I cursed to myself.

"Everything okay, boss?" Jackson asked and gave me a concerned looked through the mirror.

"Women."

"Women or a woman?"

Damn it. He could always see right through me.

"There's no fooling you, is there?"

"No, there isn't, boss. So, what happened?"

"She said some shit. I said some shit."

"And then?" he asked again while giving me a knowing look.

"Then nothing. She asked me to leave and I did," I replied getting more agitated.

"Did she want you to leave?"

"I just told you she asked me to leave."

"Right. That doesn't mean she really wants you to leave. I've been married for over twelve years. I know what I'm talking about."

"Let's just drop it," I told him and left it at that.

When I got home, all I wanted was to take a quick shower and get to work, unfortunately for me - I had to face my brother first.

He was stood there in the kitchen making coffee for himself when he noticed me walking in.

"Morning," I said while putting my leather jacket on a hanger.