Chapter 19 - More Lies

ARIA

With trembling fingers, I answered the phone, "hey, Matthew."

I started to doubt if this was even the right thing to do. Caleb clearly wanted me to stay away from Matthew. Then again, who the hell is he to give me orders?

He deserves an explanation, even if it would be one full of lies. What would he do if he'd learn the truth? I couldn't imagine him telling anyone about Caleb and me, but I've only known him for a short period of time. I might be wrong about him.

"Hey, Aria. Are you at home?" he asked sounding agitated.

"Umm, yeah. Why?"

"Great. I'm coming over," he said and ended the call without giving me a chance to protest.

Damn it. I was in no condition to face him. My face still looked blotchy and my eyes were puffy from crying. I looked like a mess.

I made my way to the bathroom to take a quick shower before I had to face him, but ended up standing under the hot water for far too long. At least now the heat had turned my entire body as blotchy as my face was.

I hurriedly pulled on my black legging and a white t-shirt. I was sure I was imagining it, but my clothes really seemed to fit me differently. The doorbell rang when I was running my fingers through my wet hair to untangle the mess.

It was already too late to back out of it. I had to face him. With a heavy heart, I made my way towards the door.

My fingers tightened around the doorknob. I took a deep breath in before I opened the door.

He opened his mouth to speak, but stopped and ran his eyes up and down my body instead.

My heart was thumping in my chest. Time stood still. Why was he looking at me like that? Did I really look different? Could he tell? Oh god... what if Caleb told him?

He gulped and finally made eye contact with me. For some reason, his face looked red.

My nerves kicked in and in my head, I started going over every possible thing he could say. Over and over again.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest. The way he looked at me made me feel uncomfortable.

That's when I realized that I wasn't wearing a bra underneath my white t-shirt. I had actually forgotten to put on a bra... that's just fucking perfect.

"Morning." He ran his hair through his disheveled hair. He was making an effort to look into my eyes this time, for which I was grateful for. He looked like Caleb in many ways, but their eyes were completely different.

When Caleb looked at me with his icy blue eyes - I felt cold and hot all at the same time. Just a single glance and my traitorous body was on fire. His eyes would even haunt me at night. With Matthew - there wasn't any of that.

Yes, I did like him, but I wished that I liked him more than I did. I started to feel all the guilt and shame wash over me. I was trying to look at anything other than him.

"Hey," I cleared my throat and finally answered.

"So, how did you sleep?" he questioned me. He didn't look happy. I was now sure that there was something going on and it wasn't only in my head. Either Caleb had told him or he had figured it out on his own.

There was this awkward silence between us. I didn't know what to say. What is there to say? Hey, I slept with your brother. Sorry?!??

"Aria?" He asked me.