Answers From a Nine Year Old

As we walked through the castle i wondered where we were going. I didn't want any more surprises that night and thought that maybe I could escape when she wasn't looking. "I don't think you can escape Pyros your majesty." I hear Mallie state out of the blue. I stopped dead in my tracks. The little girl turned towards me and smiles. "Madame Donna isn't the only one who knows magic around here you know." Then she turns back around and begins walking again. 'Oh great' I think. Now the girl can read my mind? This was really going to suck. Mallie starts leading me through winding hallways and maze like passages. I start to think we'll never stop when finally, Mallie leads us to a huge wooden door.

With a wave of her hand the door opens and she walks in. Inside there was two chairs, a table, and a gigantic fire place. There was also a little opening with a sliding door on it and Mallie walks right over to it and opens it up. Inside there's a tea set. Mallie set down the tea on the table and motions for me to come over. As I walked over cautiously I notice that it's very dark and I can't see a thing. I'm a few feet away from the chairs when I trip over my own feet and fall ever so gracefully on the floor.

Mallie comes rushing over and mutteres about how stupid she is for not putting a fire in the fireplace before I came in. "Forgive me your highness. I am so used to going into the palace at night that I forgot that you were not used to it. I'm so sorry." The little girls eyes were sad and I immidietely feel bad.

"No Mallie it's okay I was being stupid and wasn't watching where I was going. But you know a fire would be nice."She smiles at me and turns toward the fireplace when she stops suddenly and turns towards me smiling a knowing smile and asks, "What are your favorite colors your majesty?" I was a little confused at her question but answer, "Blue and purple." She smiles wider and turns toward the fire and puts her hands out towards it. A few seconds later a fire appeared. But it wasnt a regular orange fire;the middle of it was a deep violet color and the outside was navy blue!

My eyes and mouth opene in shock and amazement and Mallie giggles at my reaction. "My natural power is fire." she explained. I look confused at her answer. Natural power.What the heck did that mean? She notices my reaction, stops giggling and turns serious. "Sit down your majesty. We have a lot to talk about."

=========

=========

As we sit down on the chairs Mallie pours the tea and asks, "What would you like to know first." I ponder her question. What did I want to know? "First off I want to know about my birth parents and why Zattara adopted me."

Mallie looked sollem but answers while picking up her tea, "Your parents were the rulers of Pyros for 31 years. Your mother was a maid in this castle, Like me. Your father was the rightful heir to the throne and fell in love with your mother immidietely after meeting her. They got married and then they had you. The kingdom rejoiced at your birth. They were so glad to have a little princess."

Mallie stopped and smiled. "But then disaster struck." Mallie's smile melted away. "You see your majesty at the time your parents were murdered the Pyros entrance was hidden in a small rainforest in the country you know as Brazil. A man found it. A very evil immortal man named Vandal Savage. He killed your parents along with many others. Thet was one of the darkest days in the history of Pyros." Mallie sat silent looking at the fire. I've heard of Vandal Savage and I'm horrified to find out that he's killed my birth parents.

"What were their names?" I asked Mallie softly. "Your mother's name was Alexandria. Your father's was Darin." Okay I thought. That was one question out of the way. Or several depending how you looked at it, but i still needed to know why Zattara adopted me.

"What about Zatarra?" I ask. "Your adopted father was a very clever man your highness. He found this place even before Savage did. He was a good friend of king Darin. After they died he volunteered to take you in and raise you as his own daughter. But besides that he had a condition about raising you." I looked at her suspiciously. "What condition?"