chapter 1

picture: Lillee Vally

As I look into the mirror I smile slightly at my appearance.  “I must admit that I look quite pretty today,” I think to myself brushing my long black hair knowing that once I step into the sun it will have a red tint to it.  I look good in my white shorts and tight black long sleeved Adventure Time shirt that contrasts completely against my milky white sin.  I thicken my eyeliner around my grey-blue eyes and add more mascara to make the blue pop.  Looking up at my calendar I realize that today’s the last Friday of the year and I promised Lacey that I’d wear a skirt.  I quickly run into my closet and grab my only white skirt out of my clean hamper switching my shorts with the skirt.  It’s about the same length as the shorts were.  Walking back to the mirror I put all of my earrings in (seven in all) and grab my grateful dead side bag off of the chair and walk down my stairs to head out to school.  My grandma is waiting for me by the door with my breakfast.  She’s not really my grandma but she might as well be.  My parents died in a boating accident when I was a baby and my guardian wasn't available when I needed a home so I've lived with my grandmother’s friend since I was two years old.  After my grandmother became to sick to take care of me she signed legal papers and her friend Stacey took custody of me.  Until 3rd grade I couldn’t pronounce Stacey correctly so I always called her Grams.  She spent her youth traveling the world with her father’s band and she never married so its just she and I living on her 100 acre ranch.  She’s really into music and knows how to play all kinds of instruments.  She taught me how to play piano, guitar, bass, and percussion (which is drums).

After kissing her goodbye I run out to my baby.  A navy blue GMC van 2500.  I look at the clock on the dashboard and see that I’m late.  So what else is new?  I speedily drive out of my driveway and go down one of the side roads to pick up my two best friends, Lacey and Elaina. 

They’re already waiting outside and as soon as I pull up they rush in.  Lacey looks beautiful as always with here platinum blonde and always up to date style.  Her grey eyes are outlined with blue eyeliner making her look more attentive then usual.  Her red tank top and blue skirt fit just perfectly around her size zero figure.  Something we have in common.  I can understand why she is the most popular girl at lakeside High, here in good old Seattle, Washington.  Not only is she super pretty, but she’s also one of the nicest girls anyone could ever know. 

I look over at Elaina and smile.  She’s practically bouncing out of her seat from the excitement of it being the last day of school.  For someone who has had so much trouble in her life she’s just as perky as anyone could be.  We met in 6th grade when she moved to Seattle from Naples, Florida with her father after her mother died giving birth to her little sister.  Even though she’s 16 she’s only five feet tall and wears a size -1.  She has dyed red hair and a petite little pixie face.  In 8th grade she admitted to me that she was bisexual and she had feelings for me. At the time I had been a little taken aback at first but now I’m used to it.  She became Lacey’s foster sister later that year after her father died in a car accident. Even though they’re not real sisters they act like they are and would do anything for each other.  And even more for me.

When we arrive at school we have fifteen minutes before the bell rings thanks to my exquisite driving skills.  We make our way into the building together until Lacey sees her boyfriend.  She smiles at us apologetically and runs into his arms. 

Tyler is the hottest guy in school and every girl wants to be his girlfriend, except for Elaina and I of course.  First of all he’s my best friends guy so that automatically takes him off of my wanted list, not that he was in the top ten to begin with.  I mean he's hot but I can’t seem to have a real conversation with him anymore.  He was my best friend along with Lacey from 2nd grade until about 7th grade.  Once he became the jock of the school and started hanging out with assholes I became a little less interested in being on his radar whether it was as a friend or more.  Of course its not like they intentionally try to annoy me or anything.  I don’t blame them for being horny teenagers but hearing cat calls and whistles every time I pass them starts to get to me after a while.  And since he's going out with my best friend it's kind of hard to avoid his friends.  But I can see why everyone likes him.  He has soft brown eyes and a smile that will break hearts, plus dimples on both sides of his face even if he's not smiling.  His hair is blonde and he has an awesome body.  He's pretty much your male model of the school.  And everyone loves him.  Even a few teachers have crushes on him.  Very disturbing.

 Elaina and I leave them to their little love session and continue into the school.  Elaina and I have more of the same friends then Lacey and I.  Whereas Lacey is part of the “in-crowd” Elaina and I are more apart of the “out-crowd”.  Sure we’re friends with Lacey and a few others but we don’t really fit in with that crowd, no matter how much Lacey tries to convince us. 

“Lillee?  Earth to Lillee?  You in there?”  I’m brought out of my thoughts by Elaina snapping in my face and calling my name.  “Huh?  Umm yeah, I’m here.”  I say as she plays with my hair.  Any time she gets a chance she likes to play with my long black hair.  “I thought I’d lost you there.  Were you thinking again?” she asks me. I chuckle lightly and reply, “No, I’m still here.  And yes I was thinking.”  I say quietly.  I look at my watch and see that we only have two minutes to get to our homeroom so I quickly grab my bag and Elaina’s hand and run to get to class.

i know that it's not very interesting but i just needed to introduce you to a few of the characters and i attempted to put a slideshow thingy with all their pictures but i'm too dumb sooooooo your just gunna have to see the characters one picture at a time :(   also it's kinda short too. so forgive me!