Chapter 10: The Briefing

One approaching day was the only thing blocking the team from their first ever official mission. Sam shifted uncomfortably in his seat as something itched him repeatedly. Baron and Rob sat back down with their plates full of food with the rest of the five teenagers. "Today," Baron explained, devouring a frail shrimp, "we will be training in the morning and attend the scheduled Briefing as special guests. First time for us too."

"What's a Briefing?" Ray asked.

Rob jumped in. "Well, this special meeting happens very rarely, only assembled when needed for important emergencies. It consists of the top ten highest officials here, including Director Quick and Agent Jason. We are the guests."

"Why are we? Why do we need to join?"

"Because this Briefing is going to discuss the plans and schematics of our attack to retrieve Project Alpha, though I don't know anything about it yet."

Ray nodded. He and his friends have been training hard for the past five days and tomorrow was when the team would be finally put into good use, though it was still a long way until any of them saw planet earth again. "So, how 'bout an official team name? Come on, if we're gonna get famous might as well be called something."

Rob and Baron smirked, as if ready for the line of terrible and hilarious suggestions, and laugh at them. "Okay, I'll start," Ray announced, not patient enough to let his teammates think forever. "My suggestion is The Specials." He was proud of it, acknowledging the fact that that was what they were often called. Some faces brightened, especially Sam and Carson. The two had become like the best of friends, and they liked the same things, as if they were the real twins in the group.

None objected, knowing their ideas could never match such an accurate description. "I say that's that. We are The Specials." That confirmation was Sarah's. Everyone agreed. So The Specials were now officially a team, and a team that will last longer than what was expected.

* * *

The Specials, Rob, and Baron all found seats beside each other in a long line, almost taking up the whole second row. They were in the Briefing Room, along with roughly thirty men and women. A row of tall heads blocked some of the view, but the youths were pretty tall too. Further up front stood a blank wall. Director Quick stood up from beside Rob and Agent Terah, and walked to the wide platform in front.

"Excuse me, may I have everyone's attention, please," Quick started, his voice oddly loud and audible without a microphone, but amplified by technology somehow. "This is a special meeting, because we are going to retrieve Project Alpha from the hands of our unknown enemy." He tapped the empty air beside him as if there was a button, and a hologram appeared. A digital 3D image was displayed of space.

"This is us." He pointed to a watchtower on the bottom area. It magnified into a clearer picture. So this is what we are currently trapped in. The Specials thought. "And this is Gyros, the planet nearest to where we located the hacker's frequency. It's all the way in the Delta Sector, mostly unknown to PROTECT for now. We had a Briefing a few days back, and now I'm here to tell you what we're going to do." Everyone was captivated, especially the five, who took mental notes for everything. No one wanted to be the culprit who messed things up.

"Agents Terah and Micah will lead Task Force One as Squad One, Commander Rook will take SF1 as Squad Two, and most importantly, Coaches Rob and Baron will guide The Specials on their first mission as Squad Three. Did I make myself clear?" Everyone nodded. "All squad leaders know their objective. Just follow them."

The five were excited, looking at Rob and Baron back and forth, as if wanting to further know about their objective. Sam scanned the room curiously until his gaze met Agent Terah's. His brain told him to look away, but he somehow recognized her. Then, the agent was walking towards him! Sam was sweating, as if he had committed a crime.

"Hey," Terah called out, her finger pointing at the kid. "I know you." Sam had his doubts confirmed, and knew he just had to play along. "You're the kid that has super strength and tossed me aside in the camera room."

Sam was afraid. Was she going to bring him into custody or put him in jail somehow? "Uh, hello, Agent Terah I believe?" He blurted out. He did toss her on the pile of bodies, but he thought that memory was long gone. "I didn't mean to, I promise. I just wanted to defend my friend!" He didn't realize Jane was beside him, wondering what was happening.

"Don't even worry about that, kid, because now we're on the same team, right?" Agent Terah said, putting her hand on Sam and Jane's shoulders. "And you must be Jane, the girl who blew us all down. I say I was impressed by you two. I hope you can do some good work."

Sam was relieved, and now somewhat pressured many the last comment. He seriously didn't want to fail, but after all, he didn't have a choice to go fighting hackers. "Thanks, we've worked hard for this moment." And he meant every word. The training was rough, and he still felt the mild but irritating bruises. "Well, see you again soon."

She nodded and left, quietly motioning Baron to have a private conversation. Sam was growing suspicious of their secret chat, but didn't really care. "Hey, Sam, time to eat!" Carson called out, following Rob and the others out the door.

* * *

"Okay, so all of you need to listen very carefully, because I'm gonna explain our mission." Rob said, thinking what to say in the right order. "First, once we secretly arrive at the frequency's location, our job is to defend and help anyone in trouble. Second, while doing so, we'll also have to scan the area for the weapons room and steal a few samples. Third, we need to be the backup. Meaning that if SF1 can't do their job without massive gunfire, we must be their defense, since our cover has already been blown. Understand?"

The group nodded, just as Baron took a seat beside Rob. "Where have you been, Baron?" Rob asked, raising an eyebrow. "You missed the briefing on our mission."

Baron stumbled for words. "Uh, I had to talk with Agent Terah about some matters. Hehe, sorry." Rob forced a smile. "Nevermind. I'll tell you later." They all happily ate their lunch, pondering on next day's surprise attack. But little did any of them know that things were slowly progressing, both for the good and the bad.