five am | 5:00

Present time

Present time

Tying my hair back into a ponytail, I get started on the ramen. Beside me, Natsu's stomach growled, and I chuckled.

"How long is it gonna take?" Natsu asked curiously, his face extremely close to mine. "Ah, your hair smells nice, Lucy."

I was abashed by his compliment. Edging towards the side, I pretended to have to reach for something for away. "T-thank you," I stuttered.

Changing the subject, I quickly answered, "the ramen should take just a few minutes. You can relax on the sofa and watch TV."

"Nah, I prefer to stay with you," Natsu replied. I turned my head to his direction, his face still close to mine. His eyes are so big, I thought. Immediately after the thought, I turned away to hide my blush.

The ramen steamed and I placed two portions on the table. Natsu sat himself down and looked around the room. "I-I know it's not much..."

"I like it," Natsu smiled. "It's homely. Do you live by yourself?"

Stirring my ramen and occasionally blowing on it, I said, "my dad sometimes comes home, but rarely. He's usually at work. My mother and father divorced three years ago."

Natsu slurped noisily as he literally crammed the whole pot of noodles into his mouth. "Then I'll keep you company!" He told me excitedly. Finishing his pot noodle, he sighed, satisfied. "Hey Lucy, can I have some of yours?"

"Oh, sure," I pushed my portion towards him. "Take as much as you want." Truthfully, I wasn't that hungry. As I passed him the pot, I noticed a dragon sigil on its side. He must've caught me staring, because he noticed them too.

"A dragon!" He sounded delighted. "They're my favourite creature. What about you, Lucy?"

I tapped my chin, pretending to think. "Rabbits, I guess. They're cute."

Natsu leaned his head to one side. "You haven't changed at all," he smiled. It was smaller than usual.

"What—what do you mean?"

"Oh nothing," he said, pouring the rest of the soup into his mouth. "I like rabbits too."

~~~

"Thanks for the dinner, Lucy!" Natsu called, waving off. His scarf flew behind him, like the wings of a dragon's.

After he was out of sight, I closed the door, sighing. I flopped on the sofa, the empty pot noodle in my hand. Tracing the dragon sign with my index finger, I looked up at the ceiling.

What did he mean, I hadn't changed?

He hadn't told me either. A rock was pushing down into my stomach.

It was stupid, abominable. But still, some part of me wished Natsu was the Salamander from three years ago.

~~~

Any thoughts?

Remember to vote, comment and to add this book to your reading list!