The Note of Authors [001]

Gosh, you guys. 💖 I didn't expect this much love for this story. I wasn't planning on continuing any time soon, but that most certainly has changed due to all this support. Thank you, again~ While you wait, I'll explain how this story came about:

As I mentioned in the introduction, this story is based off a tale I came across while studying Vietnamese history

As I mentioned in the introduction, this story is based off a tale I came across while studying Vietnamese history. "The Story of Zhong Shi (Trọng Thủy) and Mỵ Châu." Now mind you, this story is not the same and is only inspired by the tale.

The legend of Zhong Shi and Mỵ Châu involves a pair of star-crossed lovers which is similar to the Romeo and Juliet archetype of western literature. The story goes a little like this:

So basically, in ancient Vietnam, there was a new kingdom called Âu Lạc. There is a bit of mythology surrounding the establishment of the kingdom, but I'll skip over it.

At a certain time, a man named Zhao Tu (Qin Dynasty General who refused to accept the new Han Dynasty and made his own country) was the governor of a country adjoining Âu Lạc to the north. He had failed to occupy his neighbouring nation many times so he instead simply waited for the right time. He then sent his son named Zhong Shi (Or Trong Thuy in Vietnamese) to Âu Lạc to seek a marriage alliance with the Princess Mỵ Châu.

Zhong Shi then met Mỵ Châu, a beloved daughter of the King. She was the most graceful lady of the country at that time. Although Zhong Shi's purpose of marrying her was espionage, he genuinely fell in love with her and they were seen side by side everywhere in the citadel. Witness the passionate love of the young couple, the king doubtlessly allowed Trong Thuy to take his beloved daughter as a wife.

Anyways, skipping a bit of the other mythology surrounding the tale, Zhong Shi found out the information that he had originally come for; the kingdom's weak points. (Due to Princess Mỵ Châu's unknowingly innocent revealing of it.)

His father then he told Zhong Shi (Trọng Thủy) to sneak into his father-in-law's palace and steal this "magic crossbow", replacing it with a fake. Zhong Shi's father, with the magic crossbow in his hands, launched a new attack on his foe and in-law's kingdom of Âu Lạc.

The Kingdom would fall into Zhao Tu's hands and Mỵ Châu's father would flee with his only daughter from the scene of the battle. He rode to the river and encountered the giant golden turtle, which told him, "The enemy is sitting right behind you!"

Angered by his own daughter's betrayal, the king slew his daughter (in a popular version of the tale he beheaded her). Then he jumped into the river with the giant golden turtle.

Zhong Shi, searching for his beloved wife, arrived a few minutes later at the scene. The body of his beloved wife was lying in a pool of blood and his father-in-law was nowhere to be seen. In accordance with conjugal fidelity and devotion, he drew his sword and killed himself as well, in order to be with his wife forever in eternity.