ℭℌą℘ţℯr XIII

Lost and found

In the morning as you lay in bed, warm and content in Thomas' arms, you found yourself holding on to him more tightly than usual. For some reason today was a day you wanted to be selfish. You wanted to spend time with him. Having passions of your own, you understood that he had an unending drive and enduring perseverance when it came to his machine, but you also knew that if he kept spending whole days locked away with that machine, you would lose him. Or, quite possibly, yourself.

You wanted just one day when you could laze around with Thomas. One day where you didn't have to walk the cold corridors alone. One day where you didn't have to face Lucille on your own. You were beginning to realize that even since the beginning, Thomas had made things more tolerable for you. It was more than that though. He had made them exciting again.

You watched him as he slept beside you, a peaceful expression on his face. Not thinking, you traced the line of his jaw with your finger, landing on his lips. You startled into a smile when those lips kissed your finger. Thomas' eyes fluttered open and he looked over sleepily at you.

"Do you know there is no greater sight to awaken to than that of your face?" he asked, his words heavy with sleep.

You blushed and looked away. He was on already. You dreaded the moment he would leave you for his cold tools and red clay. The expression must have read clearly on his face for he furrowed his brow.

"Did I say something wrong?" he asked, rolling over slightly to gaze at you.

You brushed your hand across his cheek and smiled fondly.

"No," you answered. "You said everything right."

His look of confusion did not lessen. You sat up, uncaring that your naked chest was uncovered by the blankets. Thomas did not miss the chance to admire your breasts before returning his attention to your face. You trailed your fingers down his firm chest, tracing patterns into his skin.

"I want you to stay," you barely whispered. It felt childish, like asking a relative to pick you up in their arms when you were much too old. "I don't want to be alone today," you managed to add through the embarrassment. Of course you were not afraid of Thomas' outward reaction. He had always and would always be kind to you. You were simply afraid that he might secretly think you ridiculous for requesting he spend an entire day with you.

"I'm right here," Thomas smiled easily. Your hand trailed down further towards his hips. You traced your name into his skin, wishing you could write it a thousand times so the world would know he was yours.

"For now," you conceded. "Do you know what it's like when you're gone?" you asked. You moved to straddle his hips, watching with delight as his eyes widened in response.

"No," he answered, clearing his throat a little. You smirked inwardly. This was petty, but it would get him to stay a little longer. You carefully unpinned your hair and let it fall around your face and shoulders.

"It's awful," you said truthfully. "When you're away all day... It's like a part of me is missing." You had meant to merely say it was awful, but the truth and loneliness came out on their own accord.

"I'm sorry," he said softly. He reached up to caress your hip. You leaned down to kiss him gently. When you pulled away he was smiling. "I will stay," he said. "Today. Just you and me."