Chapter 5

It was noon by the time I returned home. I was nervous and jittery about what the day would bring. I started pacing around until my legs got tired. It was an old habit of mine. I did not want to bother Becca unnecessarily. 

Then to keep myself busy, I started cleaning the apartment since I had nothing else to do. I know I had a 'housekeeper' now. Very fancy, but I was used to tidying up on my own. And besides, cleaning is a stress reliever. So I got down to tidying up the place. I had some leftover dishes in the sink so I began scrubbing that all while thinking about my upcoming fate. Then I cleaned the rest of the kitchen and the bathroom. I took a long time because it was 4 o' clock by the time I finished my work. Not knowing what to do I sat down for a while.

I realized I hadn't eaten at all. People usually tend to eat a lot when they get stressed. But not for me. Stress kills my appetite.

So I cooked some food for so that I wouldn't fall sick. I don't think it would help with my current situation. I forced myself to eat some food and then I watched some TV still anticipating the results.

A day had passed.

I still did not receive any reply from the company or from that arrogant person. My anxiety kept building. I never liked uncertainity. It only made me more panicked.

I also didn't have his number. This was another problem. How would I even find out whether I was recruited or not? Would they barge into this apartment and throw me out?  I didn't think so. I was in this miserable situation because of him anyway. Oh I sounded too petty to my own ears!

I ended up waiting for another two days before I got a call a from the company. I held my breath until the end of the call. It was great news. I finally got my sense of security back. I could pay my bills and be independent again. I could not hold down my happiness since I got recruited. I was safe now. I was heading somewhere and I would not have to fear getting molested by some stranger at the park again. 

I went to bed and slept with a smile on my face.

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of my alarm. I got ready and dressed up in crisp, formal clothing. I made myself some breakfast and decided to walk to my office since I was early and let's face it; I was currently penniless to even afford a cab. It was a short walk to the office. The receptionist guided me to my destination. As geographically challenged as I was, it took me a few attempts to reach his office.

He was busy and was drowning in his workload. He had a serious expression on his face. 

"Errm, Daniel, it's my first day. The receptionist sent me here", I muttered stupidly. He looked up; his face void of expression. "Help me sort this files." he finally said. I went over and got to work. I earlier assumed that he would make me do petty work such as getting him a coffee but that didn not seem to be the case. I was pleasantly relieved. We were busy for the rest of the morning. I got typing up his reports. And later that afternoon, I was trained to organise meetings, manage his calendar, make bookings for travel and accommodation, managing databases, etc. The list went on and on. I was quiet exhausted. I headed to the cafeteria during my break. My eyes went droopy in the middle of the day. I did not want to make a bad impression on Mr. Arrogant and went ahead to get some coffee. 

"One medium coffee, half black and half french vanilla please." "That's an unusual combination." a voice purred behind me. I turned around and saw the most stylish looking man. He was dressed sharply with well tailored clothes and was well-groomed. A treat for all eyes. For a minute I was start struck and stared at him seconds too long. He seemed to notice this and smiled. "Yes", I managed to say. "I like my coffee to be the right amount of sweet. I'm picky about certain things" I explained. "How have I not seen you around before? Is this your first day?" he asked. "Yes. I started today. I am Mr. Ar- I mean Daniel's secretary." I might've imagined this, but something in his eyes changed. It was as if he was angry, almost. I was perplexed. Was it because I did not address my boss formally? I did not want him to think I was disrespectful. 

"Well it was nice getting to know you..? " "Vanessa", I said. He smiled and started walking away. "Wait!" I exclaimed. "Aren't you going to order?". He turned around.

"See you around Vanessa" he smiled and walked away.