Chapter 3

What is that?

Am I drowning?

I am! I can't breathe! I am going to die.

"Aaaaaaah!" I woke up startled.

Gasping for air I clutched onto the bench. God, did it rain? Taking deep breaths I looked up. Shock was evident on my face. And then it switched to anger.

Unbelievable.

What is he doing here?

Standing in front of me was Mr. Arrogant in his oh so mighty self. Looks like he went out for a jog. He was wearing a tracksuit and had an empty bottle in his hand. Wait. He drenched me with water. Oh the nerve!

First he gets me fired from my job and now randomly shows up and drenched me with water? Seriously. What's wrong with him? This man will be the death of me.

"What's wrong with you? Is this how you wake up a person?"

He just smirked.

Oh the nerve! I was irritated, and the fact that he's handsome pissed me off even more.

I waved my hand in front of his face. "Hello.. I'm talking to you."

"Yes, and I can hear you. You don't have to scream."

Oh. So that man can speak. I gave him a dry look.

"Look, I don't know what your problem is. But just leave me alone. Ever since I've met you, my life has turned upside down. You're nothing but bad news to me. Now could you leave?"

He just stood there. His eyebrows scrunched. Perhaps he was trying to figure out why I was sleeping on a park bench and not in my apartment. Well he was responsible for this. And I came to hate him more and more as time passed.

"What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at your apartment?"

So he finally asked. I controlled my urge to roll my eyes. I stood up.

"First of all you are supposed to apologize to me for drenching me. And the reason why I'm here is because of you." I said, my voice laced with irritation.

"Could you explain about that to me?"

I huffed. "I was supposed to get my bonus today. Thanks to you, I got fired. And because of that I couldn't pay the rent. That's how I got kicked out of my apartment and now here I am."

Guilt was plastered on his face. I resisted the urge to scoff. Too late, I thought. The damage was done anyway and I was stuck. I had no place to stay and nowhere to go. I was out of cash too and very, very hungry. Now the first thing I desperately needed was a job and I had to get going.

I collected my stuff. "Well, I'll get going now." I said. I started walking away.

"Wait." he called out.

Now what? I thought. "What is it?" I turned around asked in irritation. I've had enough of this man for a day.

"I'm sorry for the trouble I've caused. I know that my apology would not suffice so I would like to offer you a job in my company. I mean to say that I could help you in your current situation. That way I can make up for what happened." he said.

Now that took my by surprise. I never thought him to be the type to apologize. But that doesn't mean I would agree to accept his offer. It is equal to striking a deal with the Devil.

"No thank you. Accepting your offer would be insane on my part. And after all the trouble you have caused I think it's better not to get involved with a person like you." I said.

"Just think about it. Where would you go? You don't even have a place to stay or a friend who could help you out. And if that was the case then you would not be sleeping on a park bench. You have no money and desperately need a job and I'm offering you one. How can you even refuse it?" he reasoned.

Ugh. He was right. I am so vulnerable right now. He totally had the upper hand on this.

I cannot give in. Or am I convincing myself? The offer was so tempting but I could not give this devil the satisfaction. Ugh.

I was contemplating. Refusing his offer would be stupid. I would end up on the streets for good. There was no other way now. Taking a deep breath I turned towards him.

"Okay. I'll accept the offer." I said.

He looked relieved.

Did he actually feel bad for what he's done? I don't think so.

Why would he even care?

Now where would I stay? This was awkward. I did get a job but where would I live. I couldn't possibly stay at the park.

He suddenly broke my train of thoughts. "You could stay at one of my apartments."

What? Why is he so good to me?

"Um, that is until you can find another place to stay. Is that fine?"

"I guess so." I couldn't decide if it was a trap I'm walking into. Well, I had no other choice. I'll just go with the flow.

For now.

"So. Do I get to live here all by myself?" We were currently at one of his apartments and my eyes were drinking the interior of this place. It was modern and furnished with expensive furniture. To say it was beautiful was an understatement.

"Do you like the place?" He asked with a smirk.

I rolled my eyes. Of course he saw me drooling over the place.

"Yes. It's good." I said.

"Glad you like it. Feel free at home and also, there will be a housekeeper. I'll take a leave now. Don't forget to to turn up for the interview." Saying that, he left.

Well, that was expected. Now that I'm here, might as well make myself comfortable.

After taking a long shower, I felt much better. As if on cue, my stomach growled. I ate breakfast and sat down thinking of all the events that took place in the past day.

A day can change everything. I lost my job, got kicked out of my apartment and ended up at a park. But on the brighter side I am alright now. I'll just have to prepare for tomorrow and make sure that nothing goes wrong.

Or I hope so.