XII

"We can escape together... I promise I'll protect you, (Name)." Gilbert said, wrapping a blanket around you. Due to being shaken up in the incident and being outside for a long time, you had gotten a little sick. Right now, the two of you were hiding out in a neighboring town with a friend of Gilbert's. 

Gilbert sat next to you and wrapped his arms around you. He eased you down and lay down beside you, after making sure that medicine and water was present on the beside table. He gently stroked your back, and before you knew it, you were falling into deep sleep. 

The next morning when you woke up, Gilbert wasn't there. 

"Gilbert?" You panicked. You got up, even though your head hurt, and searched the house. 

"Gilbert?!" Now you were freaked out. You ran through the house, blanket still wrapped around you. 

"Gil- AH!" You yelped as you tripped. 

"Woah!" Gilbert suddenly appeared in front of you to catch you from hitting the floor. 

"Oh thank god," You murmured, resting your head on his chest. 

"What are you doing out of bed? Never mind, look at this." Gilbert took your hand and put something in it. 

"P-plane tickets?" You asked, looking at them skeptically. 

"Yes. As soon as you get better, we're leaving for Sweden. We're taking a private jet so nobody will be able to check us. I already bought Visas, and upon getting there, we'll get a citizenship. It'll be a little cold, but it's the most remote place I could find. We'll be safe there," Gilbert said, nuzzling you. You smiled into his chest. 

-2 Days Later-

You were finally recovering from your fever. 

"(Name)?" You heard someone call from downstairs. The voice was muffled. 

"Yes?" You called, looking away from your open suitcase. Since the two of you were leaving tomorrow, you decided to start packing. 

"RUN!" Someone screamed, and you felt a shiver run down your spine. You heard muffled sounds and sounds of a chain rubbing against metal. You widened your eyes as you heard footsteps running up the stairs. 

You shakily opened your suitcase, rummaging through it and pulled out a gun. Narrowing your eyes, you hid behind the dresser but kept the gun aimed at the door. 

"I've got you now, bitch!" The door burst open and you saw none other than Alfred, looking way more wild than the last time you saw him. His clothes were ripped and worn, his hair was messy, and his blue eyes were crazed, hungry for blood. 

"I promised to myself that I'd kill the one he fell in love with.. Because he killed my Natalya," Alfred sneered. 

"(NAME)!" Gilbert screamed, appearing behind Alfred in the doorway. He looked roughed up-his face was bleeding, and he was slightly limping.

"Don't make me break your ribcage even more," Alfred snarled at the albino. 

Gilbert kicked Alfred's arm, making him drop his gun. Gilbert kicked it to the corner where Alfred would not be able to reach it.

"Shoot him," Gilbert begged. 

"Shut up!" Alfred hissed, kicking him into the wall. Gilbert cried out as his ribcage was crushed under Alfred's foot. 

A drop of sweat ran down your temple. You were about to kill a man... Your couldn't do this. 

"AHH!" Another sickening crack. This time, it was Gilbert's leg. His neck was going to be next. But why were you just frozen. 

"(Name...) Gilbert mumbled before his red eyes closed. 

You screamed in blind rage and threw your gun to the floor, then jumped on Alfred. You  All you could see was red and black as you continuously kicked and punched him.  

You breathed heavily and finally backed off, then rushed to Gilbert's side. Alfred groaned slightly. He was really beat up, barely conscious. You helped Gilbert sit up, but he screamed in pain. You gently reached your hand under his shirt. He winced, and you quickly pulled away. He had definitely broken some bones. 

"Natalya.. We can finally be together.." Alfred said slowly. 

You widened your eyes in surprise and turned around. Gilbert also tore his eyes away from your face. The both of you watched as Alfred held a gun up to his head, and before you could do anything, he shot it. 

The loud sound echoed in the room, but it was like slow motion. Blood spurted everywhere, and Alfred fell to the ground, and Gilbert gently took your jaw into his hand, wiping away the tears you didn't even knew that were gushing out of your eyes. 

You cried out and curled up in his arms, your head and heart pounding. 

Gilbert's eyes filled with tears as well-after all, he and the American had been genuine friends at one point. Alfred was just lovesick to the point where he became insane. 

"Do you think he's with Natalya now?" You whispered, after your sobbing had reduced to quiet hiccuping. 

"I hope so," Gilbert said, but he knew that everyone in his organization, even him, were destined for hell. 

Your soft hiccups and Gilbert's silent mourning made the air dense, the lingering smell of blood and despair floating into your nostrils.