Chapter 25 - Unsettled

My rib was broken. Again.

I tried to ignore the pain as I drove. It wasn't the first time I had broken a rib, and it wouldn't be the last. No matter how much I tried to run from my old life, there would always be something pulling me back to this type of pain.

"You're bleeding," Y/N said between her tearful breaths. She reached up and cleaned my face with her fingertips.

"It's okay." I replied. "As long as you're okay, I can bleed a little."

Wow, that sounded stupid. She would laugh at that level of cheese.

But she didn't.

She grabbed hold of my arm, leaning against it. Her shattered breaths were killing me.

She was terrified. And it was all my fault.

The bruises on her body was because I agreed to this stupid job.

I snuck her back into the castle and into her room. I pulled her into the bathroom, taking a good look at the damage Jackson had caused.

My shirt was ripped, splattered in blood.

"I kind of liked this shirt," I complained.

She grabbed a washcloth, ran it under the water, and brought it to my face. I winced at the sudden coarse cloth against my skin. It stung.

"I'm okay, you know." I said. "It's nothing a shower can't fix."

Well, except the broken rib.

"You saved me. It's the least I can do."

Her eyes were so innocent as they looked at my face. I couldn't bear the guilt. She shouldn't have been taking care of me.

I reached up and pulled her hand down. "Don't worry about me. I'm okay. Honest."

It's you I'm worried about...

Her eyes watered. "I was so scared..."

She was going to cry. Man... i knew it would rip her up to be scared out the castle, but I wasn't prepared to be around to watch her breakdown.

She seemed so... vulnerable.

I opened my arms and pulled her into them. I could feel her holding back her tears, but regardless, she held onto me. She was so warm.

... No, dont think like that, Yoongi. You can't get attached to things. Jin wouldn't be happy about it.

I pulled back before I could do anything stupid.

"It's going to be all right, Y/N. I'll make sure of it."

"How? He's here somewhere."

I stopped. "What?"

"The day I got to the castle, there was a note under my pillow, saying I wouldn't be a princess for long."

Probably Jin. He would do something like that.

"Then I found a note in my back pocket."

That was me.

"Also," she said, tearing up again, "I think the poison was meant for me."

That was fake.

"And one night, I was walking in the yards, and a voice came from the trees and told me to run. It was the same voice as the blonde guy from the festival."

Wait. That was Jackson. How the hell did Jackson get in here? He was supposed to be on the outside, not the inside.

This bastard...