Prologue

I stare into his glossy eyes as he monotonously presents his idea at the leadership meeting. I attempt to follow his words, but my eyes can not peel away from the sophomore's blank expression. There was something that just wasn't human about him....almost as if....

No.

It couldn't be.

I blink rapidly and shake my head as if to erase the possibility of such a thing from my mind.

The leadership meeting drones on. I carefully study Jonah's movement as he speaks... or rather, his lack of movement. His shoulders are perfectly squared as he sits with his feet flat on the floor, arms down by his sides. He stares blankly ahead, but occasionally and very slowly moves his dark pupils to meet Nikki's.

Interesting.

As Jonah is finishing his final suggestions, he attempts to begin another conversation, but suddenly stops. The room fills with awkwardness as we all exchange anticipating glances.

"What was that Jonah?" Nikki threateningly asks through her teeth, her eyes never leaving Jonah's.

"Nothing. I do not have anything more to say."

"That's what I thought."

As the tension in the room grows thicker, I avert my gaze to Nikki. She begins to fiddle with something in her bag.

The drum majors begin a new topic of conversation, distracting everyone but me. I attempt fix my eyes on the object of Nikki's interest.

"Stupid thing," I hear Nikki mutter quietly under her breath. It was then that I saw it.

A....remote???

I meticulously observe as Nikki flips a small switch on the object. Jonah stands at the exact time she does.

My heart jumps into my throat.

My suspicions had been correct.

There were bots among us.

And Nikki Huitler was their supreme leader.