Chapter 2

guys oh my gosh! I'm freaking out! Thank you so much for all the positive comments and votes on this story! It makes me so happy to know that y'all are enjoying the story! btw, i want cole to make a reappearance and i want to ship him with someone, maybe an oc? but what do y'all think of a cole x billy ship? idk, it's just a thought. if you guys don't like that ship I'll just make an oc haha. but yeah! i hope you guys enjoy chapter 2!

A wisp of red hair undid itself from the auburn girl's braids as she raced through the woods to get back to Green Gables. She stopped for a minute to catch her breath, kneeling down next to a patch of flowers next to the dirt path. Her heart was racing, and not just because of running so fast. Gilbert Blythe was such an obnoxious, ridiculous individual and Anne Shirley-Cuthbert could not find a reason as to why her heart was beating so fast around him. Why did those little butterflies forming at the pit of her stomach scare her? They couldn't have a deeper meaning than just hatred, right?

Anne caught her breath and sighed, running her hands through her glistening locks. She was reminded of the Blythe boy, and it scared her to realize that the hatred she had for Gilbert was gone. A faint voice coming from behind her snapped her out of her thoughts.

"Anne!" Diana shouted. Diana looked from side to side and in front of her, just to see the red-head crouched and looking flustered. 

"Anne, oh Anne! Are you ill?" Diana said softly as she ran over to her bosom friend. She lightly placed her hand over Anne's forehead with a worried look plastered on her face. 

"Diana," Anne cried as she hugged her dark-haired friend. "I'm in the depths of despair."

"Anne, are you alright?"

Anne looked up at her friend and shook her head. 

"My stomach hurts. It feels fluttery and like I have butterflies," Anne said.

"Oh, well, you should probably-," Diana started.

"It happens whenever I see Gilbert Blythe." Diana's eyes widened as Anne interrupted her with those words. She smirked and hugged Anne close to her. "What does this mean, Diana? What do I do to stop this excruciating pain?"

Diana smiled and cleared her throat,"Well, If you have butterflies around him. It could mean you are crushing on him."

"I do not have any interest in him whatsoever! I cannot stand Gilbert Blythe, Diana! His insult can still not be forgiven!" Anne crossed her arms with a stern look on her face. Diana just rolled her eyes playfully at her bosom friend and helped her stand up. 

"Anne, don't you think you should at least be friends? He's ever so friendly to you, now," Diana explained softly.

Anne thought about the truce she had made with Gilbert. How he gave her that gift when Marilla invited him and Sebastian over for Christmas dinner. How they looked at each other when they would make conversation. Anne shook those thoughts away and tried her best for any feelings of hate to arise within her, but she couldn't feel disgust towards him anymore. 

"I can't, Diana. If I even became friends with Gilbert Blythe, Ruby would have an outrage."

Diana smiled and shook her head playfully at Anne's many excuses as they made their way home.

/                                      /                                           / 

It was around lunchtime at school the next day and the girls were huddled in the room together, talking and laughing with one another. Josie Pye sat in the group and of course started to insult Anne, getting on Anne's nerves. 

"There's a rumor going around that you and Gilbert like each other," Josie smirked evilly.

"We do not!" Anne shouted quickly as she saw Ruby's eyes well up with tears. 

"Hush Josie! You're making Ruby upset!" Diana said.

"Aww, Anne, am I making you blush?" Josie continued as Anne fumed with anger. "I mean, why are you even blushing? A boy like Gilbert Blythe certainly would never like an ugly orphan like you." Josie giggled as all the other girls remained silent. They liked Anne, and hated how Josie treated her but were scared to say anything back to her. Anne couldn't take Josie Pye no longer, standing up abruptly and walking out of the schoolhouse. She sat by the stream and sighed. That Josie Pye is as cruel as they make them. Just as Anne thought she was finally away from the tormenting, she heard barking from behind her. 

"Look who it is!" Billy Andrews shouted. "The ugly orphan dog!"

His friends standing behind him barked. Billy was holding a large slab of wood that he used to smack a tree with his friends. He waved it around menacingly as Anne flinched as the tip of the wood hit the ground next to her. 

"Sit! Stay," Billy laughed as he treated Anne like a dog. 

"Cut it out, Andrews," Anne grumbled.

"Oh, wow! A dog that can speak! I never said you could speak, dog!" He yelled as he stepped closer to Anne. A voice called from behind Billy and his gang.

"Hey Billy! What are you doing?"

Gilbert Blythe made an appearance as he walked closer to Billy and his friends. 

"Nothing, bud. Just teaching a bad dog a lesson," he smirked as he turned back to Anne.

Gilbert walked closer towards him. "Why do you bother her so much, Billy? Just leave her alone."

Billy sighed with irritation, "Get out of here, Blythe!" Billy swung himself to face Gilbert, the piece of wood following him right smack onto Anne's head. 

I hope you guys like it so far, I'm updating my oneshot book right after this one! So yeah! lemme know what you think! Chapter 3 is on its way!

xoxo,

kylie