Chapter 3

The next morning, I awoke to sunlight streaming into the room. I felt a chill go down my spine, and suddenly realized Leland wasn't there.

"Leland?" I called. I shot up, threw on Leland's shorts that were on the floor. "LELAND?" I yelled. What the hell happened? Where was he? Did my ex find me? Was he downstairs, holding this nice gentleman who had helped me, hostage? Waiting for me to come down? Waiting to kill me? As I was preparing to find this super nice guy in a pool of his own blood downstairs, Leland walked up the stairs with a tray in his hands, slowly, so as not to spill it.

"I'm right here, it's okay," he said. "I just got up early to make some breakfast."

I sat back down on the bed. On the tray, he had pancakes, waffles, scrambled eggs, orange juice, hot chocolate, coffee, bacon, sausage, yogurt, fresh fruit, and a bottle of maple syrup.

"Jesus," I said.

He laughed. "I wasn't sure how hungry you'd be, or what you ate for breakfast usually, so I just made, um..."

"Everything?" I laughed.

He smirked. "I guess so." He pulled two plates, two forks, and two knives out from underneath the tray.

"Is it okay, eating on the bed?" I asked him.

He nodded and laughed. "What'll it be, honey?"

"I think I'll start with pancakes and syrup," I answered him.

He nodded in agreement. "I make the best around." As he dished more food onto my plate and we ate, he talked about our plans for the day.

"I think first we should get you a new phone plan set up. That way you can call your parents from your new number, let them know you got a new job, etc. Don't worry them too much." I just nodded in agreement. "Then Dad and I are going to work on getting you a new identity and another restraining order while you go shopping with Beth and Lys." He continued talking as if that was a normal day. I stopped, mid-chew, and looked up at him.

"I'm sorry, you're gonna do what?"

"Honey, it'll be okay. My dad has an in with HPD, we'll just make a call and let the right people know about this guy. I'm sure they want him arrested since he broke bail, so they're bound to ask my dad for help at some point anyway."

"You're going to look for him?" I couldn't eat anymore. I pushed the food away.

"Relax, babygirl, this is our job. We know what we're doing." I didn't say anything. "You trust me. Right?" He paused, actually waiting for my answer. I looked him in the eye.

"Yes. I do."

"Okay. Then you worry solely about what color shoes you wanna buy today and I'll handle everything else." He smiled at me.

Soon after breakfast, I showered while Leland cleaned the dishes. When I got out, I threw on jeans and my favorite blue shirt I hadn't worn in awhile but always carried with me. It had the Superman logo on it and was extra soft. It wasn't tight fit, but it hugged me in all the right places. As I was brushing my hair out, Leland came in.

"I have a hairdryer if you need it," he said. I gave him a confused look. He stroked his braid. "This doesn't happen on its own." I laughed.

"I just let it air dry, it's easier that way." He nodded. I noticed his eyes lingering, not staring necessarily, but obviously looking. "What?" I asked.

"That shirt looks good on you," he said. I smiled.

"Thanks, it's my favorite."

"Blue is my favorite color." He smiled back. "Are you about ready to go?" He stood up, taking his hands out of his pockets. I nodded. We hopped in his Hummer and went to the phone store. When I pulled out my wallet to pay for the rather expensive SmartPhone I had got, Leland pushed my hand away. He paid for everything without saying anything and we left. When we got back in the car, I looked at him.